Chapter 32

I chanted my prayers as I heard Mrs. Hamshaw close the door to her office room. I was still hoping that I had the ability to 'camouflage' so that she could not see me. The rat was already nowhere to be seen, so I tried to tolerate the suddenly awkward and lonely janitor's closet atmosphere, once the squeaking had ended.

But then suddenly, just as she was about to open the door to the janitor's closet, something, or rather someone had stopped her.

From the inside of the janitor's closet, where I was awkwardly standing at the moment, I could hear some whispering going on.

Though I could not hear what all the whispering was about, I was suddenly having a thought that it would be affect my family members' lives in the best way possible.

After a while, all the commotion and gossiping by the workers ended, and I saw that the door to the janitor's closet was being opened. Apparently, my eyes were not deceiving me when I saw a handcuffed Mrs. Hamshaw with a forty-year old man next to her, also handcuffed by the police officer. My parents were present there too, along with Cameron. I was at a state of shock by my sight, that my jaw had dropped deep into the ground.

"Oh stop, it seems as if you've never seen a person getting handcuffed before." Mrs. Hamshaw had said.

I scoffed, but it seemed to have been heard by Cameron, since he sent me a creepy look.

"So, as you can see, Cameron and Samantha Hamshaw's mother is under arrest since she had a long record of swindling schemes that had remained unknown to all her family members, therefore sparing Samantha and Cameron. Recently, she had conned yet another company, and this had remained oblivious to her children." The police officer had just said that, leaving all the other details.

My parents looked like they knew what had actually happened, so I confronted them, resulting in them looking at each other's faces, and finally not answering me, since Samantha's wailing saved them.

Sam could not clearly understand what had happened, therefore her saying, "My mom did not do anything! Leave her alone!" was justified.

Cameron shushed her down soothingly, and all I could see on his face was anger that seemed to be mostly directed to me. Why?

"I know she didn't do it. I have been telling you, she is the kindest woman I've known." Cameron told the officer, who seemed to struggle with the other man standing next to Mrs. Hamshaw.

"You...." The police officer looked like he was about to shout at Cameron, so I decided to save all the explaining, and quickly played the recording.

After the whole recording had finished, Mrs. Hamshaw's attitude was bipolar, since at first, she blasted at me saying what a fake the recording was. But, when Cameron refused to acknowledge her as his 'mom', she had a defeated look on her face.

"I'm sorry." Cameron directed to me after the police brought them two away. His face was one that was full of sadness, as he dropped to the floor, unable to balance himself on the wall. He had Sam crawled up on his lap, as they both let out a cry full of pain and grief.

"I'm sorry." He repeated, but I could not accept the apology. The accusation was too unbearable.

+++++++++++++++++++++

A couple of days after Mrs. Hamshaw and her partner were caught; I was sitting in my room with the birthday gift I had gotten from Cameron in my hand. I wanted our relationship to last forever. The feeling of being loved. Especially by Cameron Hamshaw, who was undeniably the definition of amazing. But nothing ever lasts forever. Does it?

I had busied myself with different types of work that day. Since, I could not do outdoor activities without Cameron always being there, treating me as if I was the queen of the world, since he wanted my apologies. And I had not yet been able to accept it just yet.

Why did I have to be so blind in my faith thinking that nothing could ever tear us apart, but that thought was actually just a 'thought' and not the truth.

I decided to go for a walk, no matter if or if not I would meet Cameron on my way.

I left hastily, so I forgot to bring my jacket. I had only realized that I was freezing in the cold weather when I was walking towards the park where Cameron and I had gone where he revealed to me about the death of his father.

I found myself daydreaming while I was lonely here. I loved the serene atmosphere I was in. Maybe in the future, I would like to come here and hear the sound of those birds chirping, the sound of the wind blowing, the sounds of trees shaking because of the wind.

What I had not realized was that just a few seconds after I got out of my dreaming state, a leather jacket was covering me. I could recognize this scent from anywhere. Which would only mean....

"Cameron." I said his name, with no particular emotion in my voice. I didn't want him to see right through me.

"Sienna. Look I've not come here to bother you with apologies again. I know what I did, by not trusting you, I was wrong. But you should understand that I only did that because she is my mother."

I looked at him.

"Sam lost her mom the other day. My biggest concern was that even my little sister would not be able to grow up with a parent. But now we both don't have any of our parents with us. We don't know how to cope up. I am so grateful that Grandma and Grandpa would be staying with us."

I felt the guilt seeping in through me, I felt so selfish that I could not understand it in the first place.

"Cameron." I said, but he had not stopped his ranting.

"I know. I know that the way I talked to you and treated you so badly just days back was not acceptable. I understand that if you think I'm a fool for not supporting you when I, myself had proclaimed that I love you."

"Cameron." I said again, hoping that maybe he would give me a chance to talk.

"Do you still love me as much as I love you? Do you still have a special place for me deep in your heart? Will you be able to forgive me?"

"Yes dammit. I still do and always will. Now stop your ranting and kiss me." That's all it took, before his lips were placed on mine, where it was meant to be.