Marvel [Gen Fic X Reader]

Imagine having healing abilities, but healing wounds comes at a price.

. .

. .

You are not a fighter.

As far back as your memories allow, you've never lifted a hand that resulted in violence. You went where you felt pulled to, so it was a bit of a surprise for the Avengers when you felt right at home with them. You declined their invitations to train in hand-to-hand combat and in weapons, but immediately jumped at the chance to heal as much as you allowed yourself to when they came home from missions.

For years you healed the Avengers and those close enough to them that they considered family, disappearing here and reappearing there when the team split. No one knew, not even you, how you did what you did, but everyone was grateful for the ability you shared with them.

Then came Thanos and as you watched from afar, waiting to feel the pull to one you considered yours, you instead felt something you'd never felt in your whole existence. You felt unwell.

One moment your heart feels like it's going to beat out of your chest in a panic and the next all you seem to feel is peace. You seem to exist in nothing but a black void, but there's a calmness to the void. There's no urgency to be anywhere or to help anyone, and you let the peace envelop you.

But then all too soon everything comes rushing back and your eyes flutter open to a bright blue sky. You push yourself into a sitting position, frowning when you find yourself at eye level with the grass surrounding you. The fields remind you of Wakanda and it's then you realize you've awakened where you previously disappeared. Pushing yourself up to your feet, you carefully take in your surroundings and just barely catch sight of portals closing off in the distance.

Centering yourself and gathering your wits, you close your eyes and try to feel for your friends. After what feels like a handful of minutes, you find them far away and then will yourself to their location. You end up on the outskirts of what appears to be an intense battle, the location absolutely ruined beyond recognition. Your heart feels heavy as you watch the fight unfold and then suddenly all goes quiet.

You watch from atop whatever ruined building you're standing on as beasts gliding through the air suddenly turn to dust. Hundreds down on the battlefield suffer the same fate and then suddenly your head is filled with voices.

"YN!"

"YN, where are you?!"

"Tony needs you, YN. Please."

Startled, you close your eyes and let yourself be drawn to Tony's flickering life force.

The sight of Tony breaks your heart and brings tears to your eyes. Rhodey, Peter and Steve immediately step back as you stumble forward. "O-Open his suit." Pepper immediately does as you say, tapping on his chest so his suit dissolves right before your very eyes. You fall to your knees next to him, vision blurring while reaching for his face but not touching his burned and damaged skin. "H-Hey buddy," you say. Tony's head lolls to the side and he offers you a faint smile before his attention zones out once more. "It's okay, Tony. I'm going to fix it."

With one hand barely skimming the damaged side of his face, you let your other hover over his other obvious injuries. Hands glowing, you close your eyes and pour everything you have into healing your friend. You know it's going to take everything in you to save him, but mere seconds into healing him you've come to find peace in your decision. You're not sure how, but you know now that seeking out the Avengers so long ago was for this very moment.