viii.

✩ E I G H T│breaking and entering 101│✩

E I G H T│breaking and entering 101│✩

"NOT AGAIN!" Leo yelled. "You can't fall again!" Leo's fingers tugged at the wires in the back of the dragon's neck, trying to figure out what had caused the dragon to malfunction and fix him - yet, there was a more serious problem at hand. They were falling to their deaths. "Jason! Take the girls and fly out of here!"

"What?"

"We need to lighten the load! I might be able to reboot Festus, but he's carrying too much weight!"

"What about you?" Piper cried out over the wind. "If you can't reboot him-"

"I'll be fine! Just follow me to the ground. Go!" Leo yelled at his friends. It took Piper and Jason a few moments to undo their harnesses - however, since Aurora had fallen asleep right as she had gotten on Festus, she had no harness.

She was free falling once again and this time, she didn't see Jason or Piper. A scream tore through her lips as she fell through the sky. Jason had been so busy getting his harness undone he didn't realize that Aurora had already fallen. He looked down and saw a figure falling through the air. "Aurora!" he yelled.

Jason dived off of Festus and willed the air around him to make him fall faster. Aurora flailed in the air and Jason reached out and grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into his side. Piper quickly passed them and Jason managed to catch her as well. Festus shot down and the metal tore off of him. He crash landed into the yard of some kind of private compound with a loud boom, with Leo still on his back.

Leo was thrown from Festus and his body met the snow. The canary cages had rolled in different directions and landed on their sides - still in their perfect shape. Unfortunately, Festus wasn't that lucky. His limbs were scattered across the lawn, his tail stuck on the fence of the compound. His body had broken apart and some of his hide was a smoking pile of scraps. Only his neck and head were intact to some extent.

"No." Leo sobbed as he got to his feet. "You can't go. You're the best thing I ever fixed."

Aurora's heart shattered and when she looked at the boy's aura, it was a depressing shade of blue. "It's not fair." he whimpered. Festus clicked and Leo seemed to understand what the dragon was trying to tell him. "Yeah, I understand. I will. I promise." Leo whispered.

He cried and Aurora sank down to her knees beside Leo and wrapped her arms around his frame. She wasn't sure if he was going to respond, but after a few moments he wrapped his arms around her body and cried into her shirt. Aurora rubbed his back soothingly and she was reminded of Damien whenever he would wake up due to a nightmare.

Finally, Jason spoke up. "I'm so sorry, man. What did you promise Festus?"

Leo brought his face up from Aurora's shirt. He left Aurora's embrace and opened the dragon's head panel to reveal a cracked and burned control disk. "Something my dad told me." Leo said. "Everything can be reused."