iii.

✩ T H R E E│a stroll in new rome turns into a run│

T H R E E│a stroll in new rome turns into a run│

NEW ROME WAS BEAUTIFUL. Aurora couldn't help but admire the terraced gardens, the fountains, temples, and the cobblestone streets that led to gleaming white villas. She and Percy walked down the streets of New Rome as Percy led her somewhere. "Where are we going?" Aurora asked.

"You'll see." Percy vaguely answered. Aurora wasn't satisfied with that answer, but she kept it to herself. Percy walked up towards a small cafe and opened the doors. "After you." he told her and gave her a small bow.

Aurora responded with a curtsy. "Why thank you, kind sir." The two laughed and Aurora entered the small cafe. Several different aromas hit her all at once. Freshly baked goods drifted in the air. There were small tables set up around the cafe and there were vines growing on the columns. Flower puts hung from the ceiling and fairy lights were set up around the walls.

There were large windows that faced Temple Hill and the view was absolutely stunning. Soft music was playing in the cafe and there was a register in the back of the cafe. Black chalkboards were used as the menus and the borders of the chalkboards were also covered in vines. The barista noticed Percy's toga and purple praetor cloak and her eyes widened.

"Praetor, w-what can I get you?" the barista stammered out.

Percy walked over to the register. "Can I get two hot chocolates and two chocolate croissants please?"

The barista nodded and when Percy reached for his money, she stopped him. "You don't have to pay, Praetor. It's on the house."

Percy shrugged and went along with it before he and Aurora decided to take a table outside to enjoy the nice weather. Percy pulled out a chair for Aurora and the Aphrodite girl rolled her eyes at her friend's antics. She took a seat and Percy pushed her in with ease before taking the seat across from her. "So, how's your birthday so far? Everything you've ever wished for?" Percy asked.

Aurora shrugged. "It's been a hectic day, but seeing you has made it worth it."

"Aw, stop - you're making me blush." Percy bashfully said.

Aurora smiled at him before she looked down at her white chipped nails. "When did you start to remember me?" she asked.

Percy leaned back into his chair. "Hazel, Frank, and I ended up in a small shop called Rainbow Organic Foods & Lifestyles. We met the Goddess Iris there, and before we left she pulled me aside after talking to Frank." Percy reached into his pocket and pulled out two familiar charm bracelets. "She gave me these and told me something pretty cheesy but it helped me remember you."

"What was it?" Aurora asked as Percy handed her back her charm bracelet.

"She said something that you would always tell me before a quest or battle. 'I'll always be the light that will guide your path.' And throughout the quest, I just had these flashbacks. My first one I just heard your voice. You were singing Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by the Jersey Boys. I think it was on one of our road trips, I don't know. Then, the first time I actually saw you was when you dragged me out to the lake before curfew to look at the stars."