i.

✩ O N E│the aftermath│✩

O N E│the aftermath│✩

JASON GRACE FELT NUMB. There was no other way to say it. Everything went wrong so quickly. No one had seen it coming but the guilt was gnawing him to the bone. One minute he was telling her that he would come back for her... and the next? The next moment she was gone. All that was left was Nico di Angelo staring shell shocked at the monstrous pit before him with Hazel screaming his name.

They were all a mess.

Gods, he was a mess.

The great Praetor Jason Grace could barely function. After what happened, Leo had steered the Argo II out of the cavern and was now floating above a hill that overlooked the city. Jason, Hazel, and Frank had gone back to the rubble to see if they could dig through and find their missing friends. Jason's fingers were covered in his own blood due to the extent that he had clawed through the fallen stones.

Piper sat before him in the infirmary as she cleaned Jason's fingertips with a wet cloth. He didn't meet her kaleidoscope colored eyes. He didn't even flinch at the sudden contact of the cloth meeting his wounds. All he did was stare at the floor and he vaguely could recall Piper's hands on his as she wiped away the blood.

"Jason-" she tried to begin but the son of Jupiter shook his head.

Piper solemnly nodded and her bottom lip quivered. Once she was done cleaning the blood, she got up and fetched some ambrosia. Piper handed the godly food to Jason and gave him a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder before walking out.

Jason stared down at the ambrosia for a few moments before popping it into his mouth. Usually, he tasted hot chocolate but now all it tasted of was cardboard. Still, he ate it before letting out a frustrated groan. After a few more seconds of self-loathing, Jason managed to pull himself up to his feet and head up towards the deck where everyone else was.

Coach Hedge was pacing the deck back and forth and Jason could've sworn the satyr had teary eyes. "I should have saved them!" Hedge exclaimed mostly to himself. "I should have blown up more stuff!"

Leo graciously sent the satyr below decks to help ease his mind by helping secure the statue.

"It's my fault," Leo groaned miserably once the satyr had left.

Hazel furiously shook her head. "No. No, this is Gaea's fault. It had nothing to do with you."

Despite her kind words, Leo didn't seem to take them to heart.

Hazel approached him and took his hand. "Leo, listen to me. I won't allow you to take the blame. I couldn't bear that after... after Sammy-"

She was too distraught to finish her sentence.

Jason watched as Nico took a few hesitant steps forward as he leaned against his black sword. "Leo, they're not dead. If they were, I could feel it."

"How can you be sure?" Leo inquired. "If that pit really led to... you know - how could you sense them so far away?"