vi.

Please read author's note below!

✩ S I X│we're very much in kansas, toto│✩

S I X│we're very much in kansas, toto│✩

PERCY AND AURORA WERE ON WATCH. They both were leaning up against the railing of the Argo II as the ship flew in the night sky. There was a soft breeze in the air, with no clouds in sight - only the bright full moon and twinkling stars. It was surprisingly peaceful and after everything that the two had been through - they needed peace.

They stood in silence, simply enjoying each other's presence as cities could be seen below them. As they had gotten to know each other, Percy and Aurora found that they didn't need to talk in order to communicate. Sometimes it was through eye-contact, facial expressions, body language, and fighting tactics. That's all they needed.

And as Aurora looked over at her friend - she knew that times were different now. Percy Jackson wasn't the same teenage boy as she had first met. He had grown up but past his physical characteristics there was more. He had first entered Camp Half-Blood with blissful ignorance as a young boy. He made friends, pulled pranks, and trained to be the best demigod that there was. Yet, Aurora knew that this wasn't what her friend had wanted.

Percy Jackson was broken. He had seen his friends die in front of him with the same guilt that Aurora carried. The constant thinking and replaying through the moment that they both could have saved their friends. Percy was a leader who didn't want to be one. The demigods back at Camp Half-Blood glorified him and put him in the spotlight as a hero. But what they didn't see was that Percy was human. He had feelings and a conscience that constantly seemed to scream at him to just throw down his sword and surrender.

At the end of the day, he was just a teenager. Percy should have to be worrying about homework, upcoming tests or quizzes, making sure he wouldn't get suspended, helping his mom around the house, get a job, and live his life the way he wants to. Instead, he had to worry about surviving and making sure his friends wouldn't die.

He led a war when he had just turned sixteen. Then, after that - he lost his memories. He lost himself. Percy always made sure that no one would get left behind - but it wasn't his friends that he had to be worried about... it was him. In less than a year, he was thrown into another war with everyone looking towards him again.

He made a good leader. He had all the qualities to succeed but Aurora had seen Percy vulnerable. A side that he rarely showed Annabeth. Aurora had held him in those times like she had done with Damien and let his tears soak her shirt. She would stay up late with him in his cabin so that he was able to sleep. When Percy wanted to spar in the early mornings, she would get up and let him take his raw emotions out on her. She didn't mind it, of course, and Percy would never go far - all he needed was to blow off steam. And Aurora would do it all over again in a heartbeat if it meant helping Percy.

She wished that she could take away his pain and give him the life he deserved... but deep down inside, Aurora knew that she would be the one to cause his pain in the future. And that hurt. Percy was loyal down to his core, but Aurora was well aware that one day everyone would find out and they would never forgive her. She had shared with Percy her hate for the Gods and Goddesses and he had agreed. Aurora was everything Percy despised.