| forty |

Chapter.40

═══ ∘ᵒ∘ 𓅔 ∘ᵒ∘ ═══

Charlotte was in her home, scrolling though looks that her stylist Jill had sent her. The next morning Charlotte was flying out to join her sister's Kendall and Kylie to walk down the Balmain runway for New York Fashion Week.

She was alone in the house, Lucious was at Khloe's with his cousins, and Aubrey was in London at the Wireless music festival. So, Charlotte sat in the living room listening to 'CLB' and looking at Lucious's Pokémon slippers that were on the ground.

When she heard the doorbell ring she tossed her phone on the couch cushion next to her. The sound of her slippers scuffing against the hardwood floors echoed through the house. She stopped when she reached her entryway and saw Chris standing on the other side of her glass front door.

He had a baseball cap on, his hands in his sweatpant pockets and a calm almost nervous look on his face. She scrunched her eyebrows and opened the door, "Lucious isn't here."

Chris stuttered, "Oh, I know. Delilah text me 'bout him being at Khloe's. I was hoping to talk to you." Charlotte gave him an un-easy look.

"I'm here in peace, no drama, non of that nonsense," Chris put his hands up. Charlotte was almost interested in what he wanted to tell her. So, she slowly stepped out of the way so he could walk into the home.

"This way," Char' led them to her dining room. Her and Chris sat across from each other at the dining room table. Chris looked in all directions, "Nice house. Very much you." The home was mostly a white theme, but had pops of pastel colors everywhere.

Charlotte looked at him blankly. She didn't invite him into her home so he could talk about her decor choices.

"Congratulations on your son. Aieko right?"

Chris nodded his head and placed his hands on the table top. "Almost nine pounds. He look lot like Luc'. In the delivery room, it felt like it was us in there again," Chris smiled, "'member that day?"

"Chris," Charlotte said lightly and looked down. Chris nodded his head, realizing she didn't want to talk about it.

"Ro' misses you, talks 'bout how she misses how you did her hair," Chris continued to talk to Charlotte. The thought of Royalty hurt Charlotte's heart, Ro' felt like Charlotte's daughter too after three years.

"I miss her too," Charlotte looked at Chris. She didn't see the evil in him like she used to. Charlotte was going to continue on, but Chris interrupted.

"I know I have no right to say this. I know I don't, but damn Char' I miss you." It has been approaching a year since the two had officially broken up, and almost four months since they had last spoken.

"You're right," Charlotte agreed, "You have no right. Why are you here, Chris. Why are you making me relive the past?"

Chris intertwined his fingers, "I wanna let you know that I'm sorry. For everything, the cheating, the fighting, that interview, the nasty comments. Everything."

Charlotte didn't know if he was being serious or not. "Especially for the fighting. I feel like a fucking monster, I did the same thing to you that I did with Rihanna, the same shit that happened to my mother. I became the man who I used to fear as a kid," Chris's eyes started to water up, "All I can think about is, what if Lucious saw us like that, what would he think?"