pt .12

heejin pov

Mom!

I called out.

The old rickety steps of the house creaked loudly as I hopped down the stairs to my Mother's bedroom.

What am I doing here

Mom~

I called out again, now reaching the bedroom door.

Nono, don't go in there

I kicked the door open to see my Mother in a pool of her own blood.

"Mom?" I called again, now with a softer voice.

I squatted beside her, to see her face pale and eyes closed. She was sprawled on the ground, hands on the sides of her head. Her hand clenched around a note left by an unknown person . I pulled it out of her hand and held it in mine, staring at it intently. It was stained red and wet.

"Heejin?" a man's voice called from the bedroom door.

I turned to see my father standing in the doorway, hands gripping onto his pistol.

Run Heejin. Run

The next moment, my father had ran to me and picked me up, away from mother.

"Dad? What's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing sweetie, just sit here," he said, putting me on one of the couches.

He noticed the note in my hand and snatched it away from me before running up the stairs. There I was, left on the chair, as I watched him gather his men.

The next day, my father had came back with a man I recognised. He used to be a client of ours until he disrespected my father. It was massive uproar on questioning my father's authority. Immediately, he was banned from the gang and thrown out.

The man was thrown on the floor, kneeling. His hand were tied back to his legs, immobilising his whole body from even trying to fidget and move. He was bleeding from his forehead and nose, as his own mouth started to agape.

"Dad?" I called out, coming out from behind a pillar.

"Heejin! Darling! You remember Mr.Choi, our old hitman," my father welcomed.

I was way too young then to understand anything about the mafia world. At that time I was only about nine, turning ten.

"I found out that he was the one who murdered Mom," my father continued to say.

My eyebrows furrowed, looking at the bleeding man up and down. I heard a gun cock behind me, the sound ringing in the room we were in.

"Heejin. Lesson ten: how to use a gun." He bent down beside me with his gun in hand. He opened his palm slightly so that I was able to hold it.

"It may be a little heavy so use both hands." I followed as told. I was so naive and gullible then.

"This is the child lock. But for now, I'll leave it open so that we can practice."