pt. 17

heejin pov

The file showed the security footage of the museum, clearly download and encrypted secretly onto his computer.

"Before a heist, usually I would analyse the camera footage, to pick out and record the time shift of the guards and the placement of the cameras. This helps us, as it allows our members to quickly move in and move out. Some of them go undercover, if needed," Haknyeon explained.

My eyes shot to the bottom of the file to see that the file was 168 hours long, an exact seven days.

"After this, I'll report it to Kevin so that he can plan the escape route and such."

Everything the mafia did was calibrated for perfection. Every move, every step, was exactly planned, making no room for any errors and mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned their footsteps too. Despite this, I noticed how preparation itself took too long. Having to analyse seven days just to come up with one plan for a one night heist is so not totally worth it.

"Why do you take seven days?" I asked, curious.

"Seven days shows the whole cycle of the place in a week," the navy haired replied.

"Why don't you just take three?"

"Well-," Haknyeon paused. "I-"

"Let's take the museum for example. You had planned to hit it on a Wednesday night, if I'm not mistaken. Since usually Wednesdays are one of the least busiest days for the museum, why don't you just take the footage of the first three days the Ruby was here," I explained, expanding the video.

"By taking these days, you have your worst case scenario, since the Ruby is a relatively new addition and there will be the most guards. When you do so, you can plan for the worst scenario. And since the ruby, at the time you decided to pull the heist, was about to move into it's own exhibit with the rest of the antiques, you can assume that there were no guards, which was in fact, the case then."

"Through this, you are able to both, plan for the worst scenario, and also avoid your digital footprint being left behind since you're lingering on the system for a shorter period. Actually, you're just digging archives of the footage. It'll seem like you're not there," I ended my explanation.

I turned to the boy beside me, who was staring at the screen in front of us in awe.

"For that heist with- who was it- Stray... Kids? Since a port is practically pretty uniform in terms of security, you'd probably only need to know when the shipment is planned to go out, the season it is going to; like chuseok and etc, and take the footage from the week before."

I tried to link my explanation to the situation we were newly given.

"You-" Haknyeon spoke. "Are amazing. Where did you learn to do that?"

"I uh- used to help students in my college, dig up dirt on other people for revenge and blackmail. Been doing it since high school," I replied.

"You may not be such a goody-two-shoes as you seem."

"Oh yeah? Which part gave it away? The one about how to not leaving a digital footprint or the part about helping to hack into people's private lives," I joked.

younghoon pov

The minute I turned around from debating with Chanhee on why he should just follow the plan, the girl was no longer there. I knew she was small but I didn't think she could be THAT small to have disappeared quietly. My head turned left right, and that was when I figured it out.

The hallway. Down the hallway was Haknyeon's Hacking Den, where that boy goes to hibernate until he collects the security footage he needs.

She probably headed down the hallway to see Hak.

I headed down the hallway, in hopes to find the girl, when I heard Hak laughing. Hak was.. laughing? I haven't heard him laugh in a while. I continued walking to his room and opened the door ever so slightly. I peeked through to see Haknyeon and Heejin together, scanning through security cameras.

"Maybe I thought wrong about you," Haknyeon said.

"Maybe you did," the girl replied.

"Shall we continue?" the navy blue haired suddenly perked.

"Ahem," I cleared my throat, finally bringing the spotlight to me.

The two hackers jumped at the sound of my voice. They turned back slowly to look at me.

"Hey Younghoon," Hak greeted awkwardly.

His voice trailed at the end.

"C'mon Heejin, let's head up. I gotta bandage you up before you sleep," I gathered the girl.

"Bye Haknyeon," she wished before getting up from her seat and out the door.

I was about to leave when Hak spoke again. "She ain't that bad," he complimented.

I let out a chuckle at this boy's quick change of heart as I closed the door behind me. I caught up to Heejin and walked beside her. Together we headed up to her room. On her bed, there laid a nightgown Kevin had so kindly designed for the girl to sleep in.

"Go ahead and change first. I'm going to get my med cart from the infirmary," I assured the girl.

She nodded and headed into her bathroom with her clothes. After that, I quickly headed out into the infirmary to get my med cart. When I was heading back, I had bumped into Changmin.

"Heading to the girl?" he asked, clearly joking.

"Who else in the house would need these, min," I asked, sarcasm dripping in my voice.

The boy let out a scoff before we parted ways, to continue our own business. I opened the door to Heejin's room to see her dressed in the nightgown and sitting on the bed. I pushed my med cart in and kneeled in front of her.

"I'll start bandaging you up now," I told her.

She nodded her head, and I proceeded with my procedure.