Part 14

Hi guys! Thank you so much for reading. If you're enjoying this please VOTE, it attracts more readers and makes all of the time put into this writing worth it. THANK YOU.

_________________________

The next week in the castle was a complete fairytale.

Stella, Natalie, Nora and I spent the next week in the castles gardens, stables, tea rooms, and archery grounds.

We explored the forest and cliffs on beautiful strong horses that Edward set us up with. The beauty was overwhelming, and the cold air didn't bother me, as the sights were too beautiful to miss.

We scoured the entire library for more information on my family. I learned so much more about my families history, but everything from the last hundred or so years was extremely vague. I found portraits of my ancestors in the art wing of the castle, and some of the land my family owns in Italy.

The pure joy I experienced from learning about my family, celebrating the holidays with Edward, and hanging with my friends, made me more grateful for my life than ever.

New Years Eve was tonight, so we had dresses brought in to choose from. Stella insisted we start the party early and steal bottle of champagne as we dancing around in glittering elegant dresses. We didn't stop laughing once.

All of the designers brought in were extremely eager to please me,

"Isabella, you must try this on" they pulled me back and forth, trying to win favor with both me and Edwards family.

An awkward comment was suddenly made while I stood in a jeweled silver gown,

"What do your ladies in waiting think?" The designer asked,

"Oh they, they're not my ladies, they're my friends" I stuttered. I could tell the comment made my friends, especially Stella, uncomfortable.

"It's perfect Bells" Nora said,

"Yeah, it is" Stella added absentmindedly,

The rest of the day went fairly normal. Edward and Damien met with us later and accompanied us for dinner. I noticed that Stella was less talkative before.

After dinner we were brought outside to a glamorous party.

Large outdoor fires had been set out for us to sit and watch the fireworks. I began walking with my friends and Edward called to me,

"Bella, come with me" Edward said,

I then noticed that Edward was leading me to a throne next to his parents.

There were four seats, and I suddenly realized that one was for me. I shot my friends and empathetic look, and followed him.

Sitting next to Edward and his parents on the throne, the firework show began to start.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Stella get up and leave.

"I have to go talk to Stella" I told Edward,

"Bella, stay. You can speak with her after" Edward told me.

"Edward, she's my best friend" I protested, I stood up and went after her.

Edward ran after me too.

I found Stella in a big empty stone hall of the castle. She was crying.

"Stella?! What's wrong?" I asked her,

"Bella, go away" she said to me harshly,

"Stella, I want to make sure you're okay. I feel like things have been off today" I told her,

Edward walked into the room behind me,

"Are you going to tell her or should I?" Stella asked him,

"Tell me what?" I asked Edward, I was so scared.

"Stella, now is not the time nor the place" Edward commanded.

"Tell me what?" I began tearing up,

"Edward and I are engaged" she told me

"Stella, we WERE engaged" Edward said with a tense jaw,

"We have an arranged marriage. My family was here last week to negotiate. His family and my family had had this agreement for over fifty years!" Stella said, 

"What? But you can't possibly want to marry him, "

"People in arranged marriages don't have a choice, and mistress's aren't out of the question" Stella said, 

"Stella, that's ENOUGH" Edward said, her face looked in pain as he silenced her forcefully, 

"Bella, I was going to tell you-" Edward said,

"I-I have to go" I told to Edward, pain and hurt spread through my body. I suddenly had to go, just go.

I went to my room and in a flurry packed my duffel bag. Damien, of course, mind read and showed up in my room too. He was silent as I packed. Something in my body just told me, I had to leave here. It wasn't good for me here right now.

Edward was outside of my room, when I opened the door, his eyes were bloodshot from crying.

"Bella, please, let me explain" he said to me, I had never seen him like this.

"Edward, I'm going back to school. I need to think" I told him, pushing around him

He grabbed my wrist,

"Isabella, please don't do this" he told me, I removed his hand and kept walking,

"Edward, I don't want to see you right now. if you love me, you will let me go. Right now, I need to go back to the academy." I told him,

"I can't let you go, you have to obey me!" He said, more tears streaming down his face.

"Mate, let her go. She needs time" Damien said, placing one of his hands on Edwards chest, and the other protectively around me.

Edward stared at me, and then to Damien, then back to me. Edward then reluctantly stepped aside to let me go.

The ride back to the academy, I was completely numb. My best friend, my boyfriend. Edward wasn't even my boyfriend, he was, everything to me. 

About ten minutes from the academy, Damien, suddenly received a call. This snapped me out of my haze. From his face I could tell he was very worried.

"Drive faster! Code Blue" Damien said, to my horror, he tore off the black leather seat cover from the limo, and pulled out a AR machine gun and filled it with ammo.

"Damien" I said, I was scared.

"Shh princess, everything is okay. We just need to get you to the academy. DRIVE FASTER" Damien commanded.

When we arrived at the castle gates, the guards had come to the perimeter.

When we got inside there was a lot of commotion and procedures that had to be followed. My blood was drawn and tested, my luggage was searched, and my room searched as I watched and identified my things. All while no one would tell me what was going on.

The whole time I fought the urge to cry into Damien. I was so scared.

When my room was finally cleared, it was just me and him.

"I'm going to draw you a bath" he told me, I blushed at his intimate suggestion, and then returned to my confusion.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" I asked him, following him with my arms crossed into the bathroom.

"Isabella, put on your bathrobe and come" he told me, checking the water temperature.

I changed into my bathrobe and stood at the doorframe of the bathroom as he added rose petals and bubbles.

"Come here" he told me,

"Are, are you sure?" I asked him,

"It's my job to take care of you, get in the bath love" he told me,

Once in the bath, Damien sat on the edge, running his hands over my back with warm water and soap.

"Isabella, when I tell you this, you need to understand that it's not very uncommon. You understand you're a very powerful royal correct?" He told me, uh yeah?!

I nodded,

"A very elaborate, and clearly planned attempt to take your life was made at the castle tonight. You left right before the incident." He told me, I held my breath.

"Several men, unidentified men who are now in custody and being questioned, broke into your room and were attempting to take you away"

"These men" Damien continued, "must of had some sort of help from inside the castle, as there is no way they could of broke through our families protection curses. Bella, your friend, Stella, apparently had come back to find you and talk to you. Since the men didn't know exactly what you looked like, and she was in her room, they assaulted and tried to take her"

As angry as I was with her betrayal, my heart shattered at this, I began crying softly.

"Isabella, she's okay. She's a highly skilled vampire and she was able to resist them just long enough until Edward found her"

"Edward, saved her?" As happy as I was Stella was okay, the raw emotions from learning of their engagement stung.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" I asked Damien, he nodded,

"Not like how you usually do, when you stand outside of my room and then have the guard take over for six hours. Can you stay with me and, and-" I struggled to ask for him to stay the night,

"And what?"

"And hold me, please" I barely whispered.

"Bella, Edward wouldn't want that" I looked away disappointed, I felt so stupid.

"I'll stay" he said,

"But we both are sleeping fully clothed!" He added me, I giggled.

"Yes daddy"

Damien groaned, I watched as his eyes flicked over my naked body. He took a breath, and stepped away.

"I'm sending for some hot chocolate and sweatpants. Do you need anything?" He asked,

"Extra marshmallows" I said,

"Got it" he said with a wink.

Twenty minutes later we laid in bed, I asked Damien for more details and he reassured me that everyone was fine. The entire castle was on lockdown as they searched and interrogated every guest.

"We're going to figure out who tried to do this to you" Damien reassured me, I responded by giving him a hug.

"It's my job to protect you" he told me, he grabbed onto my tighter.

"I know" I said, still hugging him and rubbing my hand up and down his back.

"It's my job and you could of-" Damien began to choke up, I was shocked, Damien had never been anything but fierce and strong in front of me,

"If anything ever happened to you-I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to"

"I know" I said to him, pulling him into my chest and wiping some of his tears.

Damien wrapped me in his arms as we fell asleep. I too, was emotionally exhausted from the days events. With Damien it was different than Edward. Damien, felt safe, secure, and reliable. Damien wasn't a royal, his only job was me, he wasn't distracted by fiances and wars. 

With Edward it was passion, heightened emotions of all sorts, and illogical patterns. But both loves were still powerful. 

That's when I finally realized, I loved them both.