Cafe

*Texas's POV*

The next day is rather quiet, and I decide to go in the guest bedroom to make sure Cali didn't forget anything... and I'm glad I checked, because sitting on the foot of the bed was Californias phone. I drive to Californias house, and knock on the door. He answers, wearing a crop-top and shorts showing off his impossibly tiny waist.

"Texas?" California said.

"Cali! You forgot your phone," I said, handing it over. He's still wearing his signature RBF (resting bitch face) but I know he's grateful.

"Thank you," California said. I smile, and he musters a fake one. I can tell somethings on his mind...

"Hey, you know what? How bout we walk down to the cafe? I could use a pick-me-up!" I exclaimed. California stared at me, then looked away.

"I...I guess," he said. We walk down together, and I can't help but notice Californias strut. He walks with such a models confidence, it almost doesn't feel like the same guy who was crying in my arms the other night. But I guess confident guys have their bad days too... I'd be lying if I said I haven't had a few myself.

"So... what made you want to invite me? It's not like we're really friends," California said.

"Well, we can start that somewhere! And I'd like to get to know you," I said.

"Why?" California asked.

"Well, why not?" I said. Now California was stuck. He looked down and sighed, giving himself a moment to think of a response.

"I dunno... I never really thought anyone would want to be my friend... especially with all the rumors that I'm... y'know...," California said.

"It don't matter to me what your 'hobby' is, that doesn't make you a bad person," I said.

"It's not quite a hobby... more of a bad habit...," California said.

"You ever tried goin on an alcohol strike? I used to be crazy for liquor, and I did some bad things, but I took a strike and learned to get better about my alcohol consumption" I said. California hummed in thought.

"No, I haven't thought of that... I dunno, what else would take the edge off?" California asked.

"Deep breathing, art, music, whatever! Just trying to get away from alcohol might do ya good," I said. California nodded.

"I'll try I guess," California said. We go to the cafe and get our coffee, me ordering a breakfast sandwich and watching California eye it keenly. So, I cut it in half.

"Here, you look hungry," I said.

"Oh, it's ok, you don't have to-,"

"I insist," I said. California eats his half of the sandwich, and I can't help but gaze into his eyes, sparkling with joy... but it makes me worried that there's a reason this guy is so skinny.

We talk about whatever comes to mind and I realize we have more in common than I thought we would've. He looooooves movies, of every genre, and he was passionately talkin about some cowboy movie. So, me being an ex cowboy, I explained a day in the life.

I found that when California is really passionate and interested, his 'blank bitch' persona really melts away. He's so bubbly and full of life, and is rather funny too. I've heard people call him an idiot, but the way he dissects and understands all the elements and intricacies of film is more than impressive. I'm enamored by him, he really knows who he is versus what the world thinks of him... it's kinda sad to be honest... if only everyone could see this side of him.

Before I know it, we're walking back to his place and I'm getting in my car... but he stops me.

"Texas, Ari's throwing a bonfire party at the beach tonight. I want you to go with me," California said. I smile.

"Just say the word and I'll pick you up and take you there," I say. California smiles, and hands me a drawing.

"I drew you something... I didn't really know how to thank you for everything you've done for me... so... I hope you like it," California said. I take it and hold it close to my heart.

"I love it," I say. With that, I drive home, patiently awaiting tonight's party.