The Weirdo on Marple Street

"Something wrong with the meatloaf?",Karen Wheeler asked confused.

I gulped.

It was dinner time and since I was over, Karen insisted that I would eat with them.

The thing is, I wasn't really hungry anymore after finding out that El had freaking superpowers.
She was able to move things with her mind, like a jedi.

The boy's weren't hungry as well so we kinda all just pecked at our food with no one talking.

"Oh, no, I had two bologna sandwiches for lunch.",Dustin answered. "I don't know why."

"Me too.",Lucas said.

I didn't answer. I just nodded to make Karen understand that I wasn't that hungry either.

"It's delicious, Mommy.",Nancy suddenly said, gaining her mother's attention.

"Thank you, sweetie.",Mrs. Wheeler replied gratefully.

"So, there's this...special assembly thing tonight...for Will at the school field. Barb's driving.",my best friend suddenly said.

I raised my eyebrows.

She was invited to Steve's party, there's no way she's gonna miss it to attend the search party...

My eyes widened. Was Nancy using Will's disappearance to go to Steve's stupid party?
Wow...that was low.

"Why am I just hearing about this? Emma, honey, did you know about that?",Karen asked me while cutting her meatloaf.

I opened my mouth but Nancy quickly answered for me. "I thought you knew."

"I told you, I don't want you out after dark until Will is found.",Nancy's mother lectured her.

"I know, I know, but it'd be super weird if I'm not there. I mean, everyone's going.",the girl replied.

Karen sighed and turned to me. "You too, Emma?"

Oh God, no! I hated Nancy so much right now.

"I- Ehm-",Nancy was looking at me with a desperate gaze in her eyes.

I sighed. "Yes, I'll be there too. Actually Barb was gonna pick me up as well. That's why I'm here. So that we can head straight to the school field."

I hated lying.
Well, not always but Karen was really nice to me and it just didn't feel right to lie to her.

"Just...be back by 10:00.",the mother gave in.

Nancy nodded and mouthed a "Thank you" to me when her mother wasn't looking.

"Why don't you take the boys too?",Karen suddenly proposed.

"No!",they all shouted in union.

"Don't you think you should be there? For Will?",the woman asked the boys.

Mike took a sip of his milk and almost choked.

I followed his gaze and my eyes widened when I saw Eleven walking down the stairs.

Mrs. Wheeler, confused by her son's actions, wanted to turn around when Dustin abruptly hit the table.

"Sorry. Spasm.",he apologized.

It was an obvious distraction and it worked.

I let out a relieved sigh when I saw Eleven walking into the living room, unbothered by all the noise.

Holly suddenly started to whimper.

"It's okay, Holly.",I whispered to the girl, who was sitting next to me in her high chair, with a soft smile on my lips. "It's just a loud noise. Nothing to be afraid of."