Chapter 1

Silence... a warning that time was running out. He held her closer to his body.

"I don't have much time..." Cassiopeia whispered, of course he already knows that. He can't just accept it. He wanted to do something, anything just to keep her alive.

"Please don't say that." he said softly and touched her face, memorizing every detail of it. She shook her head, "You know I'm bound to die eventually." she said, stubborn as always and he smiled sadly.

He's going to miss that attitude of hers, "Let's just---

***

"KAIAAAAA!" I winced at the loud voice who interrupted me doing my work. I was already on the good part and now my concentration was lost.

I glared at my best friend who entered my room panting, probably because he ran all the way here. I looked at him and saw sweat fall from his face. Still, he looked handsome for me. Then he looked at me and smiled.

That smile... one of the reasons why I fell for him. Yes, I know, pretty cliché for a girl liking her best friend and of course he didn't know. He'll never know, I wouldn't want to risk our friendship now. Also, he's the closest friend I have.

I have other friends of course, but he's the only one I can freely show my true self.

"Gift for you." I snapped out of my daze and looked at him in embarrassment. "I'm sorry what is it?" I asked, he shook his head and playfully flicked my forehead. "Ow." as he took a seat on my bed, "Apparently, you're still in writing mode."

I rolled my eyes, "come on, Xander, tell me already."

He grabbed something from his pocket and my brows furrowed in confusion, he handed me an envelope and grinned. "Well, my beloved best friend, I have great news from your dream university. Go ahead and open it."

I excitedly opened it and my eyes widened as soon as I read what was on it. It's an invitation to a writing contest from the university.

"Oh my gosh! How'd you get this?"

Xander fumbles with his hands, "I went there to visit my brother and I was about to leave when I noticed some people crowding at a table. I went to take a closer look and saw that it's a signup contest about writing, it says that anyone can join, even outsiders. I know how you love writing and considering that is your dream school... I signed you up there and they gave me this."

I kissed him on the cheek, and we look at each other. I'm really thankful to have him as my best friend.

We stared at each other with anticipation, and I realized, is this the part where we're going to kiss? He started to lean in, and I started freaking out.

'He's going to kiss me. he's going to kiss me...' I closed my eyes and waited for him to kiss me, but instead...

"Eww!" he exclaimed as he wiped his cheeks, I rolled my eyes at him with the feeling of discontent and went back to my table.

Way to ruin the moment, I thought bitterly.

The genre for the contest is Romance and Tragedy, and so far, the only story that fitted that category is the one I'm currently writing. The deadline for this is two months from now. I looked at my story and began to calculate the days before I can finish it.

Again, I was snapped out of my reverie when Xander leaned in t look at my work. His face's so close to mine that I can smell his perfume.

I immediately closed my notebook, silently praying that he hadn't read too much of what I was writing.