Chapter Six

"Birdie?"

The words were ringing in my ears and suddenly I wished that I never agreed to come to the party. I wish I never said 'yes' to Iris, that I never saw him and never heard the words that were uttered by him. 

Him. The person I despised all these years. If only I didn't move here. I wouldn't have to see him. Ever.

I took a few steps back because I couldn't stand him being this close to me. I hated him. I still do. I turn and walk away from the house, hoping no one would follow me. I could feel Iris' eyes on me but I don't look at her, I can't.

It was really chilly outside and the thought of having worn warmer and comfier clothes cross my mind. I sit at the end of the stairs, my hands running through my hair, ruining the beautiful hairstyle Iris did for me.

Do I feel bad for her? Yes, I do but I also can't ignore the fact that she knew. She knew who he was but never told me. 

Is that why she said, there's something about him she can't tell me yet?

"Let me talk to her. I need to tell her something important. He's returning soon. I'm sure every misunderstanding would be cleared."

"Not now, Adrien. I don't know what little secret you're hiding but now is not the time to reveal it."

I could hear their hushed voices.

"Aly?"

I don't turn back. I know its her.

''Can we talk? Please?''

Do I want to? I need clarifications. I am desperate to know why she did this. I want to hear her side of the story and the more we delay it, the worse it gets. 

My dad always told me to hear all sides of a story and not just one. Everyone has a reason. He believed so, even when mom left us. I clear my head and take a deep breath.

''Let's get in the car first. I'm cold.''

She nods her head and follows. Neither of us uttering a single word.

''I'm sorry.'' She breaks the silence first.

''I don't need you to apologise Iris. I just want to know. Why? Why him?''

She looks down at her hands. Picking at her nails. A habit of hers when she's nervous. I knew all too well.

''Why did you pressure me to know more about him? I knew something was up the moment you got emotional talking about him. The moment you told me he could be the one for me even though we didn't even meet, Iris. I can't believe you were forcing me to get close to him. Him out of all the people! Just because I thought he looked like someone, doesn't mean anything! I don't want to know more about him because I already know all that is there to him. He is nothing but an emotionless jerk!''

I hear an almost inaudible sob and my heart breaks a little. I take her hand in mine and signal her to say something. 

Am I overreacting?

Iris places her other hand on top of mine and turns to face me. Her eyes still glistening with tears.

''I know I'm at fault here, Aly. I know what he did to you was wrong but it wasn't entirely his fault. I wanted you to give him a chance. Honestly, I wasn't really pushing you into a romantic relationship with him. All that I said about him being your Romeo, when you didn't even meet, was to lighten the situation because I didn't have the courage to tell you that the Adrien you are seeing in front of you and comparing to someone you like is the same you grew up hating on. It has been tough for me too, choosing between two of my best friends, choosing between you and Adrien. I never wanted to end up in a situation where I had to choose. I'm sorry.''