11| A bad dream and then a good morning?

Where was he?

He looked around the dark, cold void.

How did he get here?

He was cold, alone, and scared

He didn't want to be alone

He felt warmth from behind him, and when he turned around he saw a light, and there standing in the light was a red haired boy holding his hand out, waiting for him to take it.

Gakushū hesitantly raised his hand, contemplating whether he should take the offered hand or not.

"Outoto" came the sharp voice of his older sister. Her hand snatched his wrist and gripped it firmly, he raised his head to meet her steely gaze. "Close your eyes and ears" she cupped his cheek with one hand.

"We are on our own"

"Gakushū-kun"

He flinched at the voice of his mother.

"Gakushū-kun, mama loves you..." Arms circled around him and a chin was rested on top of his head. "Onee-chan loves you.."

"Papa loves you"

________________________

Gakushū woke with a start. He sat up straight, panting heavily. He wiped the sweat from his brows and looked at the clock on the wall.

4:00am.

Gakushū sighed, and rubbed his eyes, before returning his attention to the thick textbook before him.

The table had test papers and review notes all over.

His head pounded, and he's stomach was demanding food. The boy stood up from his uncomfortable chair and went to check the cabinets and pantries, all were empty.

His stomach growled louder, demanding it be filled. He held his stomach pitifully.

"Bear with it" he told himself. "Just bear with it, in a few hours, or maybe days, father will have forgiven you. Maybe if you ace all your quizzes tomorrow he'll be pleased and decide to reward you with fresh air" he convinced himself.

When he checked the papers, he realized he had done everything now.

No longer caring if he had any wrong answers, he put on a jacket, and went to his father's office to find the key to the front door.

It was easy to locate, the key was in the second drawer, half hidden under a file.

Gakushū took it, put on his shoes and sneaked to the front door, inserted the key, twisted the knob, opened the door and then breathed the fresh morning air.

It was still dark, but not that much.

Gakushū stepped out, walked on the stone pavement towards the large gates, and unbolted the door, pushing it open, he left the property.

He had one destination in mind, though he didn't know why he wanted to go there.

Later, he stands infront of Akabane's house. He could see through window to Akabane's room the lights were on.

Gakushū hesitated, he raised a bandaged hand to knock on the gate or maybe ring the bell. Or maybe he could just climb through the tree? Wait, why was he here again? What was he doing standing infront if Akabane's house at 4 in the morning? Why did his legs take him here of all places? Does he still have water in his brain from when he stupidly jumped into the freezing river in hopes of meeting death?

"Good morning"

Gakushū flinched, and looked to his right, to see Karma carrying a plastic bag in his hand, and a carton box of strawberry milk in the other.

"M-morning" Gakushū quietly responded, stepping aside for Akabane.

Karma unlocked the gates and pushed it open. He looked at Gakushū who was standing there unsurely.

"I just came here for my bag" he found himself saying.

"You couldn't have waited until morning?

"It is morning" Gakushū pointed out.

Karma chuckled, walking inside his property and towards his front door. He opened his front door and gestured for Gakushū to follow him. "What are you standing there for? Come get your precious bag"

Gakushū smiled with relief, before following Karma inside the house.

His bag was in the living room on a sofa. Gakushū unzipped it and started looking for something. But then he froze when he failed to find it.

He searched again, tossing his books and notebooks and pens out carelessly as he desperately searched for it.

"Akabane" no, he couldn't have....right? He wouldn't- "Where are the pills?"

Akabane knew which pills he was talking about.

He might as well be honest about it. Lying about them will do him no good. "I threw them away"

Suddenly Gakushū was on him, arms out stretched and fingers reaching for his neck, rage, desperation and something else, expressed on his face.

Karma had done the first thing that came to mind, hold the boy in an arm lock and keep him there until he eventually calms down

And to speed up the calming process, he starts humming a melody.