12| Addict

You're broken, broken like me, maybe that makes me a fool, I like that you're lonely...lonely like me, I can be lonely with you

________________________

When the boy in his arms stilled, Karma gave a sigh of relief. "I'm trying to help you" he said.

"I don't want your help" Gakushū quietly responded.

"Maybe you don't want it. But you can't deny that you need it" Karma said. Gakushū got off Karma and dusted himself, he turned his head to the side, looking embarrassed and ashamed for how he acted. "I need those pills Karma, I need them badly"

"You really are an addict" Karma stated with a cold tone. "I-I'm not! I'll just cut back on them! I need those pills Karma! They help me become perfect! "

"They fuck your mind! You almost died Asano! " Karma stood up and yelled at Gakushū, causing the boy to back away from him fearfully. Karma cursed in his mind, he shouldn't have done that. Gakushū is in a delicate state right now, he should be more patient and understanding with him.

"I'm sorry" both boys said to each other, their voices sync. Gakushū blinked, before chuckling, apparently he found it funny.

Karma liked Gakushū's laugh, it wasn't the cold, emotionless laughter he hears at school. This one sounded genuine, foreign. A selfish part of him wants to be the only one to hear Gakushū's genuine laughter.

The strawberry blonde picked up his bag from the ground. "Akabane, can I ask you something?"

"What is it?" Karma walked with him out of the house.

"Why are you helping me?"

"Because if you die the entire school is going to mourn your loss and it will be a giant pain to deal with" Karma said with the most serious look he could muster. Gakushū bursted out laughing, hugging his sides even. "Huh, he appreciates dark humor" Karma thought.

"Yes you're probably right, everyone will make a fuss about my death" Gakushū sighed. "Such a pain, even in the afterlife I won't catch a break"

"You're such a pathetic people pleaser. Why do you care what everyone thinks Asano? You're human, humans are allowed to make mistakes, why are you so obsessed with perfection?"

"It's how I was raised Akabane" Gakushū patiently explained. "It's been drilled to my head that I have to be above everyone, imperfection, wrong judgment, weakness in an Asano is not accepted"

The two are now walking down the street towards a playground, the once dark sky is now lighting ever so slowly, as the sun rises up from it's temporary slumber. Gakushū went towards a swing, gently rocking it back and forth. He gestured for Karma to take the swing beside him.

The red head sat on the swing, rocking himself gently.

"I tried to cut back on the pills Akabane. I mean it, but the impulse to pop one in my mouth is always so strong, eventually it got so bad I can no longer function without them. My life is full of chemicals, I need a pill to wake up, a pill to sleep, a pill to calm myself" he released a dark chuckle that sent a shiver down Karma's spine. "I can't just stop Karma, it's not as easy as you make it sound"

"Then I'll make sure you won't take another pill in your mouth again" Karma promised.

"Hahaha!" Gakushū laughed, swinging back and forth a bit faster now. "What do you plan to do Akabane? Remain by my side 24/7 ? We have different schedules, it will be difficult for you!"

"That won't stop me"

"Why do you care?!" Gakushū snapped. Realizing his anger and frustration was slipping out he reached for a pill bottle in his pocket, only to come up with nothing. He scowled and punched his leg. "Damn it!"

Why does he care? Karma gripped the chains of the swing.

He looked at the boy beside him. The broken boy with the dark lines under his eyes and the bandages on his wrists and neck, the bruise on his cheek.

Karma thought. Maybe if he could save Gakushū he could save himself as well.