55| Gakushū and Nanami's story

So tell me what you want to hear
Something that will light those ears
I'm sick of all the insincere
So I'm gonna give all my secrets away

____________________

Karma's grip on his collar loosened, but he did not let go yet. "She....abandoned you here?" He repeated, slowly.

Gakushū almost laughed at their situation. Because almost three weeks ago or less, he was in an emotional state, and had collared Karma. Karma was trying to calm him down

Now Karma was the emotional one, who's hands are tightly holding onto the other's collar. With Gakushū's trying to calm down him

"Yeah" he answered.

"Why?" Karma frowned. Gakushū has mentioned to him a few brief times about his sister. But he always held her in such a high regard. Why would he put her in a pedestal if she once tried to abandon him here?

"I was four years old, she was eight. Mother and father took us here, to this amusement park. Strange how nothing seems to have changed since then" Gakushū began. "Father used to hold my sister in an......extremely high regard. She was perfect in every way, the golden child, the star pupil, the Asano family's heiress" he frowned

"Despite being the beloved perfect daughter though I knew how unhappy and lonely she was. I knew how pressured she was by father. So every chance I had, I would take it to be with her, play with her, bring her a little bit of joy" he let out a hollow laugh. "I thought she would appreciate my being there, that she was happy everytime I'd sneak into the library to play with her for a bit"

Karma knew he wasn't going to like where this was going, he knew...that this wasn't a pretty story. "But?"

"But there were times I'd catch her glaring at me. From the corner of my eye I'd see her looking at me with contempt, but every time I'd fully turn to face her that look would be gone and I'd thought it was all in my head"

Gakushū shook his head to clear away the memory of the way she looked at him.

Who knows....maybe it really was all in his head? Maybe she was never really glaring at him, maybe the nervous four year old Gakushū had imagined his sister staring at him that way.

"Anyway. It was a bright sunny day, just like this one. We went to play several game booths, an rode the carrousel. I was having the time of my life" mostly because four year old Gakushū barely got out of the house.

"But a part of me felt that something bad would happen" after all it didn't seem like Nanami was really having fun that day. Her smiles never reached her ears, and her laughter was rather hallow.

Strange how the four year old was the only one to had noticed.

Or maybe his parents did notice but his father never cared enough and his mother chose to turn a blind eye

"She pulled me aside, while our parents were distracted. She said 'Shū, would you like to play a game?' and I said 'what kind of game?' she smiled at me, before taking my hand in hers and leading me...." He paused for a moment, making sure Karma was paying attention to him.

"Leading me here. She took me deeper and deeper into the maze of mirrors, taking random twists and turns until we stopped eventually at a circular room. Everywhere my head turned I saw us" thinking about it now, he almost got Eisoptrophobia because of what happened.

"She knelt down infront of me, and said 'stay here for a few minutes okay? Onee-chan is going somewhere, but she'll come back for you' and then she just left me"