Happy birthday Gakushū (New year's special)

"What are your plans for New year Gakushū?" Ren asked his friend after school. The strawberry blonde looked at his friend "Nothing, really"

Ren looked at Gakushū as if he was crazy. "What?! Seriously? But it's new year! And on top of that, your birthday!"

"And?" Gakushū walked past Ren and headed for the direction of home.

"You're seriously not celebrating? What will you do, sleep the new year? No countdown? No watching the fireworks? No birthday cake for yourself?" Ren jogged to catch up to Gakushū, who was taking longer strides.

"None" Gakushū responded simply.

"Why not?" Ren prodded. The strawberry blonde sighed "What could possibly be the point? A birthday is just another day to be reminded that you are aging, the new year countdown is just an excuse for people to stay up very late and set the sky on fire-"

Ren looked like he wanted to correct Gakushū on that, but Gakushū did not leave him a room for response

"And who could I celebrate the new year, and my birthday, with?" Gakushū looked at his friend with saddened eyes. Ren felt a lump on his throat

"Your friends" he placed a comforting hand on Gakushū's shoulder, but Gakushū shrugged it off. "Thank you Ren, I really appreciate you, but I know you want to celebrate the new year with your family. You have a good relationship with them after all, unlike mine" he walked away, leaving Ren alone, thinking about Gakushū's words.

__________________________

Gakushū pushed open the door to his house. Taking off his shoes and placing them in the shoe rack, he entered. "I'm home" he called out to no one in particular.

As usual, there was no response.

He went to his room, tossing his bag to a corner without a care. He sat on his swivel chair and opened his laptop.

Entering his password(his birthday) he logged in.

He stared at the wallpaper of his laptop. It was an image of him, Karma, Nagisa, Ren, and Rio at the bridge. The same bridge he jumped off from in an attempt to put himself out of his misery.

After all, death can be a mercy sometimes.

But then he showed up. Akabane Karma, the delinquent of the school, an E-class student, and notorious for his sadism, saved his life. And even gave him a new will to live, to move forward. Looking at Karma's smiling face in the picture, it made him feel warm inside.

But the warmth vanish when he felt someone's eyes on the back of his neck. He turned the chair to face his father.

The man wordlessly lifted a folder before tossing it to the bed.

"Solve that in an hour" he said before leaving the room. Gakushū glared at the spot where his father was previously standing. "Nice to see you too" he mumbled with disdain, before getting up from the chair and walking over to his bed.

Opening the folder, inside were papers that contained difficult mathematic problems. It seemed to be at college level, but for Gakushū this was nothing.

The strawberry blonde began solving the problems, and half an hour later he was done. He smirked in satisfaction before getting up, folder in hand, and leaving the room to show his father the papers.