18| You can call being with me as home

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be and I don't want to go home right now

_______________________

Gakushū woke up to the soft thumping of a heartbeat. He shifted his head a bit, and forced his eyes open. He was met with red hair and tired looking gold eyes.

"Karma" he acknowledged.

"You're awake, great" Was Karma's simple response.

"Where are you taking me?" Gakushū had to ask.

"Home" was the response he got.

Gakushū scoffed at the thought of his 'home'

The constant arguing of his parents, the broken plates and glasses, the belittling, the mocking, the punishments.

That's not home.

It's a prison.

"Put me down Karma" Gakushū said. "I'll walk the rest of the way" and Karma's arms looked tired, he should rest them.

He put his hands on Karma's arms, and soothingly rubbed them.

Karma's eyes widened at the gesture, and he felt his cheeks warm up. "What are you doing?" He asked awkwardly.

Gakushū quickly retracted his hands, his cheeks also reddening. "I--I just thought--your arms looked sore so-" he stammered over his words, placing a hand behind his neck.

"Nevermind!" Gakushū said instead, grabbing Karma's wrist and dragging him with him to the direction of Karma's house.

"That's where I was taking you Gakushū" Karma snorted. "As if I would take you back to your abusive household. That place is just a house, or should I say a prison"

Gakushū looked at Karma with raised brows.

"But if you're with me, then you're at home" Gakushū understood the meaning behind his words.

"You can call being with me, home"

What a kind person Akabane really is. Perhaps he misjudged him before?

When they arrived inside the Akabane residence, Gakushū made a beeline for the kitchen. Karma raised a brow at this. "What are you doing?"

"Cooking dinner" Was Gakushū's patient reply.

"Do you even know how to cook?" Karma challenged.

"Of course I do" Gakushū responded. "My mother taught me" he sounded prideful for a moment.

Karma found it cute. How proud Gakushū was at his mother's cooking lesson. He decided to pull a chair out and watch him.

"Okay then Chef-sama, what are you making?" Karma smirked, a hand on his cheek.

Gakushū smirked back, eyes beaming at him. "Give me an hour" was all he responded.

He watched Gakushū move with practiced grace. His eyes focused on the tasks at his hands, his cutting even and perfect. Gakushū probably has a talent for cooking, Karma might even say Gakushū is better than him.

And no, no he will never admit that.

Out loud.

"What are you making?" Karma asked again.

Gakushū sighed. "My mother's specialty that not even my father could reject and my sister obsessed over before she left"

"Tell. Me. What. You. Are. COOKING!" the red head demanded childishly, enjoying the look of impatience and annoyance Gakushū was sporting now. It has been a while since he last teased or annoyed the strawberry blonde.

"Ratatouille" Gakushū revealed.

Karma blinked twice. Then, a memory from long ago resurfaced in his mind, and made him double over with laughter.

"What's so funny?" Gakushū demanded, eyes narrowing at him.

"Mama tried to cook ratatouille for us once, I was eight years old then. I was in the kitchen with her handing her the ingredients she needed. I don't know how but she ended up almost burning down the kitchen. Luckily the smoke detectors sensed fire and--Whoosh! Water everyone!" Karma told his story, half laughing.

"We had to order take out for dinner instead"

Gakushū laughed at Karma's story.

Karma found himself shivering at the Gakushū's laugh, it was....husky, and deep. It sent shivers down Karma's spine.

"Well, you don't need to worry about me setting your kitchen on fire Karma" Gakushū assured.

"You better not, Or I'm charging you for the damages!"

Gakushū just snorted, and resumed his cooking.

"By the way, I texted your dad that you'll be sleeping over tonight" Karma told him. "What did he say?" Gakushū asked the red head.

"I don't know, I never read his response" was Karma's reply to him.

He noticed Gakushū stiffen, before relaxing again after. "I see"

Karma sniffed the air, his mouth almost watered at the aroma. "Are you close with your mom?"

"Used to"

Realizing that the topic of his mother might be a sensitive one, Karma dropped the subject. "When's the dinner going to be ready?"

"Soon, Akabane. I did tell you this will take about an hour. I have a lot to cook" Gakushū then shooed him away with him hand.

"Go to your room, I'll just call for you"

"Yes daddy ~"Karma responded teasingly. He smirked when he noticed the dark glimmer of something familiar in Gakushū's eyes, he chuckled to himself.

"Don't tell me this idiot has a daddy kink..."

(Author: And what if he does, Karma? What are you going to do about it? 😏)