Chapter-24

A/N (PLEASE READ): This chapter has some mature content in the end, and I know some people might be uncomfortable reading that, so I'll be putting *** signs before it starts, and then at the end. So if anyone is uncomfortable reading it, please feel free to skip ahead :).
_______________________________________________________________________________

"I'll reach my hands out in the dark
And wait for yours to interlock
I'll wait for you
I'll wait for you
'Cause I'm not givin' up
I'm not givin' up, givin' up
No not yet"

-Andy Grammar, Don't Give Up On Me
_______________________________________________________________________________

Dean

"Dean?" Elijah questioned, and Dean would have found the confused look on his face endearing had it not been for his red, puffy eyes.

"No, it's Chris," Dean deadpanned. He cringed at the lame joke, but he had no idea where to start or what to say.

Elijah raised an eyebrow. "Sorry, wrong twin," he said, giving him an amused look. He leaned against the doorway, looking at Dean expectantly.

But Dean wasn't sure what to do now. What if Elijah didn't really want him here after last night's events?

The thought of their shared kiss made Dean's cheeks heat up, and he had to duck his head to hide the heat crawling up his face.

A small smile made its way onto his face when Elijah raised an eyebrow, saying, "Are you gonna stand out there all night? Get inside."

He followed the other boy into the house, before Elijah motioned for him to follow him up the stairs.

He led Dean to what he assumed was Elijah's bedroom, and his suspicions were confirmed when he looked around the room, noticing a few pictures of him with his siblings and parents. There were a few of Elijah and Kaeden too.

Elijah sat down on his bed, and Dean wasn't sure if he should sit there or just stand. He settled for leaning against the opposite wall to be able to look at Elijah while talking.

"I-" he began, but Elijah cut him off.

"I'm sorry," he murmured, looking up at Dean through hooded eyes. "I shouldn't have done that last night. It wasn't fair to you."

Dean shook his head, hating the sadness in his eyes. He liked seeing Elijah be his happy and sarcastic self, not like this. Not with a look of guilt and sadness etched on his face.

"I just want to know, Li," he started gently, not wanting to make him feel more guiltily than he already felt. "What did you mean? I- I don't know what to even think. You just said you might have cancer, and then you left."

He tried to make sure none of the hurt he felt seeped into his voice, but the look on Elijah's face told him he hadn't been completely successful.

"I'm sorry," the other boy said again, looking at the floor.

Dean shook his head, walking closer to Elijah. He had been standing away from him in case Elijah didn't really want Dean near him after last night, but he couldn't stand watching him like this. Even if last night meant nothing to Elijah- he had been ignoring Dean's messages all day, what else could be the reason?- he was still his friend; Dean had already let his own brother down, and they had suffered the consequences. They still were. He couldn't let Elijah down too.

"Elijah," he said, kneeling down in front of the bed so he could look up at him. "You don't have to be sorry, okay? I just need to know what you meant."