Chapter-50

"This love is good
This love is bad
This love is alive back from the dead, oh, oh, oh
These hands had to let it go free, and
This love came back to me, oh, oh, oh"

-Taylor Swift, This Love (Taylor's Version)
________________________________________________________________________________

Elijah

Eleven days. That's how long it had been since Elijah had last seen Dean. Stuck in a hospital room, his body exhausted from the constant throwing up and headaches because of the new chemo regimen, he felt the lowest he ever had.

Sure, he wasn't necessarily alone. His parents were with him as much as they could, balancing between work and his siblings; Lily and Leo came over straight from school despite his constant reassurances that they didn't need to; Kaeden spent most of the day with him, refusing all offers from his other friends to come hang out- he didn't even leave to go see Laia too often; Allen and Nate came over every second day too, as did some of his other friends from school.

But having company didn't do anything to help how alone he felt. It was as if the world around him kept going, but he was stuck behind a glass wall, right there for everyone to see and for him to see them, but too far away to be heard.

He'd never given much thought to love- atleast not before he had met Dean. Even after, it had been a fleeting what-if in his mind.

But now, days after he had convinced Dean that his parents' idea for him to go away for a bit and allow the ruckus to calm down, he realized what people meant by love being all-consuming.

The only time Elijah felt a ficker of happiness was when he woke up to a text from his boyfriend, or when he was on call or video chat with him. Hearing his voice, reading his words, it was a reprieve from the constant numbness he felt.

A small, selfish part of him, one he was ashamed of, constantly wished he had asked Dean to stay instead. Then, atleast, he would have the one person who could make him feel better with him.

But no part of him had expected Dean to show up at his hospital room unannounced at three in the morning.

"You aren't supposed to be here," were the first words out of Elijah's mouth as his eyes met his boyfriend's, surprise coursing through him.

"I missed you too, Li," Dean rolled his eyes, unzipping his hoodie and tossing it once the recliner beside the bed. "You know, it's consi-"

He didn't get the complete his sentence as Elijah leaped from the bed, finally over his initial shock, and launched himself into Dean's arms.

A small huff of surprise left Dean's mouth, turning into a breathy chuckle as Elijah's legs wrapped around his waist, his arms tightly around his neck. Dean held him tight for almost a minute before setting him down and pressing a soft kiss to his temple.

"What are you doing here?" Elijah asked, stepping away reluctantly.

"I missed you too much," Dean smiled, and in that instant, Elijah felt a fluttering feeling in his stomach that he hadn't felt in weeks. For once, it wasn't anxiety or anger or sadness filling his heart; it was happiness.

And love, the voice in his brain said. And this time, Elijah didn't push it away.

He allowed the feeling to wash over him as he stood in front of the boy whose mere presence could brighten his world.

"Are you gonna stare at me all night or do you wanna do something?" Dean laughed, coming closer and wrapping an arm around his shoulder, guiding him to the bed.

Elijah just gave him a smile, getting onto the small bed and scooting over so Dean could climb next to him.

That was when Dean's gaze traveled to Elijah's hand, a small frown forming on his face.