Chapter-46

"Even every time that I'm mad at you
I would still bury that body for you
I would take a shovel, dig it six feet under
Swear to God I wouldn't tell another
Even every time that you got the flu
I'm not scared at all to get close to you
I don't run away when your face says "achoo"
But I run to get you a tissue
I don't count the days
Most people I hate
You're my best friend"

-5 Seconds of Summer, Best Friend
________________________________________________________________________________

Elijah

"That was so incredibly stupid!" Raine said, kneeling in front of the couch where Kaeden was sitting.

Kaeden shot her a sheepish look, one hand holding an ice pack over his eye.

"But it worked," was his feeble defense.

Her eyes shot to Elijah who was standing in the corner of the room, and he gave her an embarrassed smile.

"God, how do you two go from not wanting to see eachother's faces to doing... this?" she asked, exasperated.

It was a little over an hour after Kaeden's father had been taken away, and after much hesitation, Kaeden had finally called his mother.

Their friends had promised to come over to the hospital later that evening, something Elijah had brushed off for the moment, not wanting to think about that place.

"In my defense," he said, "it was just Kaeden who didn't wanna see my face."

Kaeden shot him a deadpanned look. "I said I'm sorry!"

"And I said it's okay," Elijah shrugged. "Facts are still facts."

Raine let out a deep sigh, shaking her head as she stood up. "This was very reckless," she scolded.

"And smart," Kaeden added, hopefully looking at her.

She sighed, her eyes softening as she looked at his bruising eye.

She pulled him up by his arm, pulling him into a hug. Kaeden let out a surprised yelp, but wrapped his arms around her.

Elijah felt like he was intruding on a private moment, but lucky for him, they pulled away soon.

"If you ever do anything like this again," she warned, her eyes watering slightly, causing Kaeden to look mildly alarmed.

"I won't, ma," he promised. "But he's gone, and I'm fine. We're free. So look a bit happier."

She chuckled softly, kissing the top of his head.

"And you," she said to Elijah, and now it was his turn to look alarmed. But instead of scolding him, she walked over, pulling him into a bone-crushing hug. "Thank you."

"Um, you're welcome, but for what?" Elijah asked, awkwardly wrapping his arms around her.

He'd hugged her a million times before, but never when she was angry and glad and greatful and confused all at the same time.

"For being there for Kade," she said, her voice soft. "I know what he said hurt you, but you were there for him."

Elijah chuckled softly. "Yeah, well, he kinda saved my ass at four in the morning too, so..."

Smacking his arm lightly, she pulled away. "When someone says thanks, a you're welcome is enough."

He laughed, jokingly tilting his head. "You're welcome."

The doorbell rang, making Kaeden and Elijah turn their heads in the direction fo the door, confused.

"That would be your parents," Raine said, looking the slightest bit sheepish when Elijah groaned.