Chapter-57

"I don't know what I did to deserve all this
I don't wanna be rude or on the defensive
But I've been goin' through it too
And I know you feel used, I know you've been hurt
Anything I did to make you feel worse
I'd take it all back if I could"

-Joshua Bassett, Set Me Free
________________________________________________________________________________

Elijah

The car ride back home was uncomfortable. Not only were his thoughts uncontrollably spiraling, he was still sleepy too.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat for the third time, making Dean look over at him sideways, clearly holding back his chuckle. He'd straight up laughed when he'd first realized why Elijah kept moving.

"This is your fault, stop laughing," Elijah mumbled, feeling his cheeks redden.

"Hey, you fully enjoyed yourself last night," Dean defended, not able to hold back his chuckle anymore.

"I hate you," Elijah muttered.

"Promise I'll be gentler next time," Dean teased, and Elijah felt like if his face got any hotter from embarrassment, he would actually combust.

Thankfully, he was saved from replying as they pulled into his driveway. The playful look on Dean's face was replaced with a serious one as he turned to Elijah.

"You okay?" he asked, his hand lifting to Elijah's face, his thumb brushing Elijah's cheek.

"Yeah, I think so," Elijah muttered.

Dean got out of the car, and Elijah followed suit, taking a deep breath as he rang the doorbell. It opened almost instantly, his brother standing in the doorway.

Before Elijah could even come in or say anything, Leo launched himself into his arms, taking Elijah by surprise. After a moment, Elijah hugged him back.

His mother came up behind Leo, putting a gentle hand on the younger boy's shoulder.

"Let them come in, sweetie," she said, her eyes softening.

Leo obliged, letting go of Elijah so him and Dean could come inside. In the living room, Leo went to sit on the arm of Lily's armchair. Kaeden and Raine were there too, the former on the couch while the latter sat opposite him, next to Elijah's parents.

Biting his lip, Elijah went to sit down next to him, pausing when he saw Dean looking between him and the doorway hesitantly.

He grabbed Dean's hand, pulling him along as he went to sit on the couch so he was between his bestfriend and boyfriend.

His stomach was filled with butterflies, and definitely not the good kind.

"Elijah," his mother's soft voice said, making him look at her. "I know this is hard, but please, listen to what we have to say."

Elijah looked down at his hands folded in his lap, squeezing his eyes shut for a moment before nodding.

"There's been a trial that's been in the approval process for a while. It's starting in two days," Raine explained. "I talked to Doctor Larkson, and he discussed it with his team and the board. You can be a part of this trial, Lijah. And if it works..."

She trailed off, but the hope in her eyes and voice was unmistakable.

"You can take a few hours to think it through, we know it's not easy, us dropping it on you all of a sudden," his father added. "And, Lijah, the decision is yours, but think it through before answering."

Elijah couldn't meet their eyes. His heart was beating fast, his hands clenched into fists. He realized he was biting his lip again as he winced, tasting blood.