𝟐

[ Y/n ]

"Have a good day." I smiled and waved to the woman as she left.

"Ah... My back is killing me." I headed into the back and Melanie was rubbing her shoulders. "Mel, I can take care of the heavy lifting. You're supposed to be watching the creams."

"I know but... You do so much work." I shook my head and picked up one of the flower bags. I brought it over to the pantry and set it down.

Honestly, I think we need to hire another person just for moving heavy stuff. Mel is getting too old to be doing this and I'm too busy and... Well, not that strong.

The timer started ringing and I walked back out to the oven.

I grabbed an oven mit and put it on before opening the oven. I grabbed the small cakes and pulled them out.

"Watch out, it's hot." I turned and set them on the cooling tray before going back to grab the rest.

I walked over to Melanie as she added sugar to one of the icings.

"Can you make that one an off-white?" I asked.

"Yeah, I can do that." She replied. I smiled and went back to the oven, grabbing the rest of the cakes.

.  .  .

I walked out to the front to check and see if anyone was waiting. "Oh! I'm so sorry for your wait." I apologized to the man.

"No, it's no problem."

I've never seen him before...

"What can I get for you?" I asked, wiping off my hands. "Uhh... Can I get..."

"The next top news story, the horrifying murder on Courts Street. 39 year old Elizabeth Hill was murdered last night in her home just after returning from work. Officials are saying the murders are likely by the same person and that they're working to find the person."

The screen changed to the police chief at a press conference.

"We've been getting a lot of attention and sympathy from all across the nation... Thank you for that. For the residents of Hallows Creek, we will be instilling a curfew at 10 pm through 4 am. Remember to lock your doors and windows at night. We have a number for anyone who believes they have any leads... We'll put it up now. Please let us know if you see or hear anything immediately. We want to take care of this... Monster as soon as possible for your safety."

I turned the tv off and turned back to the man, giving a small chuckle.

My smile faded and I looked around. He was nowhere to be found... Did he leave? Ah shit... I feel bad now... I was so distracted by the tv I didn't even...

"-Courts Street-"

That's the street next to where I live...

Last night... The door was unlocked. If Trevor hadn't...

I don't want to think about it.

I sighed and walked back into the kitchen, taking my apron off.

"Hey Mel, I'm gonna head home for the night. You should too."

She waved a hand at me and I smiled.

"Seriously, I'll drive you home. Come on. I already did the dishes for the night."

.  .  .

Melanie opened the door and got out. "Thank you."

"You gotta stop walking Mel. You aren't as young as you used to be."

"Hush."

I laughed and she shut the door. I rolled the window down and sighed. "Stay safe!" I shouted as she walked to the door.

"You too!" I nodded as watched as she shut the door, driving back towards my house.

.  .  .

"Did you hear about Elizabeth?" Trevor asked.

I nodded and shook my head as I thought about it. "I mean it's just... Our door was unlocked and... If you hadn't we could've... God and we knew her! Someone you know doesn't just... Get murdered."

I shook my head in shock again and brushed some hair out of my face.

"Hey..."

Trevor grabbed my chin and made me look up at him.

"It's okay. Nothing bad will ever happen to you. I swear."

I stared at him for a moment before nodding.

"Yeah... Yeah, you're right... It's just hard to think about this kind of stuff..." I whispered.

Trevor nodded and got up. He walked over to me and hugged me. I hugged him back, staring at the wall. He rubbed my back and head soothingly.

"It's okay, Y/n... I promise it'll all be okay."