𝟐𝟐

[ Y/n ]

The words repeated in my head.

Again and again until I could recite the whole article from memory.

There was another murder.

If Trevor won't protect me, I have to protect myself. I'm not crazy. I'm not. I can prove this.

Taking my laptop from the counter, I sat on the couch. My fingers flew over the keys as I pulled up the website.

My eyes scannend all the cases. All the brutal violations of each person.

I slowly studied each picture. Then I started seeing it. It's a pattern.

No.

It's a hint.

I could see it now. How each murder has a hint towards the next murder. How did they not figure it out by now?!

The case before the most recent, the killer left a fork out. The most recent case was a poisoning. The suspect had dinner with the-

Trevor.

Trevor just went out to have dinner with his boss.

The person who died wasn't his boss but I wouldn't put lying past him now. I started connecting each clue just to make sure.

I have to be sure.

Once I had checked it three or four times I started looking into the recent murder. I looked at every pixel there was to see. I wanted to find the clue.

The others were easy when you knew what came next. Suddenly something jumped out at you. Completely out of place.

I looked and looked and- the back.

There's a box from my bakery.

My...

Mel.

I stood up, knocking the computer off of my lap. My phone is in my room.

When I turned for it, I was met with a person.

"No!" I turned to run but was grabbed. I fought as much as I could. My entire body burned up inside. Screaming to fight harder.

I couldn't.

My head met the hard wood of the table, I felt my nose crunch under the contact. That wasn't the end. The person grabbed my hand, pressing it onto the table.

"No! Stop!"

I couldn't see what they were doing until the hammer came down hard on my fingers.

. . .

"Y/n?!"

When I finally gained the energy to open my eyes, Trevor sat over me. His glasses on the edge of his nose, still in his work outfit.

The pain was excruciating.

"Mel... Mel..." I choked out as I held Trevor's shirt with my good hand.

"Mel? What happened?" He was crying.

"The ambulance are coming. Just tell me what happened."

"They're going to hurt Mel..." My words weren't enough. He didn't want to hear them. I couldn't bring myself to even look at my hand.

"This." I forced my arm up. Trevor stared at my hand with a look of horror.

"It's a warning. I figured it out." The smile that came shocked him as much as it shocked me.

Who could smile at a time like this?

My nose felt hot on my face. It was likely broken too.

"They're here. I'm going to get the door." Trevor got up and ran to open the door.

. . .

They called me delusional. They said I was in shock. I wasn't thinking straight.

That's not it.

I've figured it out.

I know I have. I just need someone to listen to me.

"Knock knock." I looked up at Phoebe who had come to visit me.

"Phoebe."

She sat down in the chair next to my bed. Trevor had gone to get food for himself after I had convinced him I'd be fine for half an hour.

Phoebe looked at me for a moment before leaning close.

"If you don't stop..." she grabbed my injured hand, holding it in here.

"If you keep putting my brother at risk..."

She slowly started forcing my fingers to close. The pain was enough to drag me back into unconsciousness but she didn't grant me such a luxury.

She let go just before I passed out.

"I will keep punishing you, Y/n. Stay out of it."