Misunderstanding (Angst?)

Warning: Minor angst

Pairing: GN Hange x GN Reader

A/N: Hi all!  This was a request for a high school au/songfic with the song Television by Rex Orange County and credits for the idea go to @HangeZoesJacket. There was an option for a happy ending but I chose the angst one (sorry, angst is just more fun to write). Also, I'm not sure if the quality of this is great because I haven't been feeling great (can't tell if it's allergies or a cold) so I might rewrite this later on. Thank you for reading!! <33 

"Hey, I'm not afraid, I can be myself and I hope you can be yourself as well. 'Cause I can make you feel alright and there was so much happiness that we were still yet to find."

The loud buzz of various conversations filled up the packed hallways and you stumbled as someone lightly shoved your backpack. The crowded hallways of your high school always made you feel slightly claustrophobic. You pushed back the other students, your eyes scanning the dozens of bodies that were present in the hallway. It was almost as if you were a human scanner, trying to filter out all of the faces until you could find one in particular.

And after a few minutes of searching, you found them. The fatigue you felt melted away and you waved towards a person you saw standing by the stairwell—Hange Zoe. Your biology partner, your best friend...and also, maybe, the love of your life. The matters of the heart were quite confusing and you hadn't really given it much thought. Besides, there were more important things to think about...graduation was in a week!

"Hange," you panted, finally reaching them after an intense five minutes of shoving and climbing steep stairs. "I thought...you said...to meet..."

"Catch your breath, dear," Hange chuckled, resting a hand on your shoulder. "It seems as if you ran a marathon."

"I'm so glad I won't have to climb those stairs anymore," you sighed gratefully, following Hange as they led you out to the quad out front. "Can you believe we're really graduating? In one week? And then we're off to college!"

"I don't know about you, but I'm excited," Hange's eyes brightened. "I've already applied to be a researcher's assistant in this one lab and—"

"You what? Already?" You startled, astonished that Hange had already gotten accepted. They were quite passionate about their subject, weren't they? It made you feel as if you were behind already.

"Ah, don't fret, (Y/N)," Hange slung an arm around your shoulders, pulling you in so that you could smell traces of pine and cedar, "you're going to be just fine. You're worried about college, right? I can see it on your face."

The conversations faded into a faint murmur as you and Hange began to walk home—a ritual the two of you had partaken in almost daily due to your houses being on the same street. To think that in a few months, the two of you would be in two entirely different colleges across the country. You wouldn't see their face every day. You'd be alone.

"Hange..." You trailed off, turning to stare at the outline of their face. "We only have four more months until we're going to move away. I don't think I'm ready to leave you just yet."

Hange's expression softened, and they reached out to link their arm through yours, patting your hand gently. "Hey, I'm not leaving you entirely. We'll call and text, and I'll come to visit you. You can come over at stay at my apartment any time you want, my doors are always open for you."

"Yeah, but I won't be able to see you in person for months at a time," you frowned. "We've been friends for what...six years? This will be a first. I'll miss you a lot."