In The Snow (AU)

Warnings: None

Pairing: GN Hange x F Reader

A/N: Hi everyone! I wrote this like ten minutes ago because it started to snow where I live so the quality is not great. It's also inspired by a recent request! Updates on this book might get a little slow because I'm working on an Arcane inspired Hange fic that's up to 25 chapters. Thank you for reading <3

You believed in magic. Not the kind with fairies and magical wands that caused pumpkins to turn into carriages, but the subtle kind that shimmered in the air. The kind that turned frowns into smiles, the kind that allowed people to laugh at the smallest of things. You believed in the kind of magic that would bring about soulmates, or fate. The kind that made people hopeful and optimistic even during the worst part of their lives. But there was a time in the entire year, one time that felt the most magical. And that was when it snowed.

Sure, it was a little cliché, but the feeling of having the soft snowflakes melt on your skin was something you couldn't describe. Watching the world around you get blanketed with a thick layer of snow, quieting down as everyone went inside to warm up, drink cocoa, or cuddle with their loved ones. Of course, there was the laughter of children, with their little noses and cheeks red as they waddled through the snow in the thick winter jackets their parents forced onto them. The snowmen, the snowball fights...the feeling was definitely magical.

It was cold and you shifted on your bed, pulling your covers over your body. As you snuggled deeper into the pillows, your alarm blared, causing you to wake up begrudgingly. The floor was freezing against your feet as you padded over to the bathroom in your apartment, getting ready for your day of work and school.

"You're up early!" Your roommate, Sasha, called out from the kitchen. "I thought classes were canceled because of the snow?"

You paused, blinking the sleep out of your eyes. Snow? It snowed? You headed straight to the window, throwing open the curtains and gasping when you saw the light blanket of snow. Soft snowflakes were still fluttering in the sky.

"I didn't know it snowed," you called out, reaching for your phone. Please let classes be canceled, please let classes be canceled. All of your classes had been canceled. "My classes are canceled!"

"Yaay!" Sasha cheered as she walked over to you. She was still wearing her penguin pajamas, her hair a mess. "We can stay in and have a movie marathon!"

"Yeah..." you trailed off. "But I still have to go to work."

"Even in the snow?" Sasha frowned. "The road conditions are dangerous. It's icy and freezing cold."

"The café surprisingly gets a lot of customers during the snow," you sighed. "Our hot drinks are the best, so a lot of people stop by. Well, at least I have the morning all to myself!"

"That sucks, I would want the entire day to myself," Sasha frowned. "Anyway, do you want syrup with your pancakes? Or jam? Or whipped cream?"

You chuckled at Sasha's eagerness to get eating and stated your preference. To be completely honest, you weren't too upset about going to work in the snow. It was your favorite weather, after all.

--

The icy snow crunched slightly underneath your feet as you trudged up the sidewalk towards the café you worked at. The snow on the streets had become a grey slush as the cars drove over it, but the snow underneath your feet was as white as a fluffy cloud. It seemed as if you were the first one walking down the pavement. You hummed, content. As you stared up at the dizzyingly bright flurry of snowflakes, it felt as if you were in a snow globe. Of course, it felt magical.