Happy Endings (Angst)

Warning: Angst and AOT Manga Spoilers

Paring: GN Hange x F Reader

A/N: Hi everyone! This was a request that I got recently about a scenario where y/n was able to turn back time. The updates in this book will get slower because I'm about to start two new stories (that'll be up very soon)! Thank you for reading <3

Once, a long time ago, (Y/N) had lived in a small cottage within the walls. She would wake up every morning to go out and tend to the farm animals. She would eat breakfast. Water the garden. And go about her merry way. Once, a long time ago, (Y/N) had the ability to live a mundane mortal life, with not much to live for. That was until Wall Maria fell and a titan destroyed the home she had known for years. That was before the titan reached out to grab her, ignoring her screams and pleas of mercy. That was before she was killed, swallowed by the hideous monstrosity.

To anyone else, (Y/N) was as good as dead. And she had been in that moment—as dead as a dead person could be. But then she woke up in her bed, surrounded by her quilted blanket.

No, it hadn't been a nightmare.

No, she wasn't in heaven.

No, she hadn't become some sort of mutant titan shifter.

There was one reason and one reason alone why she was still alive. She wouldn't come to understand this for a while, not until the same sequence of events where she got eaten by a titan occurred about three times. At first, she had wondered if she was stuck in a time loop. But that wasn't quite it.

What (Y/N) discovered was that she could reset time. Just like an alarm clock—go back a few hours before an event occurred and stop it from occurring again. It was this realization that caused her to grab all her family members and urge them behind Wall Rose the day before Wall Maria fell.

It was her hidden power, a secret that she would keep withing in for a long time. Was she excited? Of course, she was! She could control time! She was invincible now, wasn't she?

Wrong. There was a caveat, like there always was with stuff like this. In order to go back in time, (Y/N) had to die. And there was a limit to the number of times she could before she'd die permanently.

--

"Cadet (L/N)," a solider stopped (Y/N) from moving forward, a fist pressed against his chest. "Commander Erwin has requested you go down to his office. Your presence is required."

"Mine?" (Y/N) narrowed her eyes. She was just a mere soldier, a pawn in whatever plan that Erwin was concocting. At this point in time, she had been alive for decades. Year after year, she did what she could to try and free humanity from the walls. Year after year, she failed.

"I'm going to free humanity from the titans!" (Y/N) had once said, determined. She had joined the survey corps, ready to destroy the very beings that prevented humanity from living freely. While her comrades had been full of despair and terrified, she faced all of the challenges head on. Death didn't scare her. She would rewind time every single time and make changes to each mission, determined to get it right.

But it never worked. It was pointless, like an unsolvable puzzle. Try as she might, she could never get the ending right.

"Yes, Commander Erwin needs you. Please go to his office," the soldier repeated before scurrying away.

(Y/N) sighed and walked down the dark hallways, illuminated by the faint glow of the nearby lamps. The night was quiet and still as everyone was retiring to their dorms. What on earth did Erwin want from her at this time?