Line Without a Hook (Part 9)

"The wind is a-pounding on my back and I found hope in a heart attack. Oh, at last, it is past. Now I've got it, and you can't have it..."

"Hange, this is Nanaba. Nanaba this is Hange. You two already know each other," (Y/N) stood in between her two friends, introducing the two to each other. It was the day of her fourteenth birthday, and she had invited all of her friends to a fancy bowling alley/arcade.

"Hi," Hange said dully, raising a hand to greet Nanaba. They didn't really like her. But they would tolerate her for the sake of (Y/N). It was her birthday, after all.

"Why'd you invite them?" Nanaba wrinkled her nose, turning to look at (Y/N). "I thought this was a friends only event?"

"Hange is my friend," (Y/N) explained, shooting an apologetic look towards the brunette. "I hope you two can get along, you're both some of closest friends."

"Of course," Hange nodded, smiling a little. They'd do anything for her—even tolerating their childhood bully.

"Whatever," Nanaba huffed. She turned to head towards one of the lanes, where Rico and Miche were inspecting the different types of bowling balls.

(Y/N) gnawed on her bottom lip. "Hey, Hange...you sure you don't mind that I invited Nanaba? I know you don't really like her, but she changed! I swear, she's not as bad as she used to be. She's just a little cold sometimes, but she'll warm up to you!"

"It's fine," Hange reassured. They reached out and handed (Y/N) a small box that they had brought with them. It was her birthday gift, a necklace they had made themselves. Sure, it didn't compare to the expensive jewelry that she was able to afford, but they had made it by themselves. "Happy birthday, (Y/N)!"

"Thank you," (Y/N) smiled gratefully. She reached out and pulled them in for a hug. Hange wrapped their arms around her tightly, wishing that they wouldn't have to let go. For some reason, they felt as if their and (Y/N)'s friendship wouldn't last much longer. They could practically feel it.

Maybe it was the way that she rushed to spend more time with Nanaba, or maybe it was the way she stared at them with sympathy. Perhaps it was the way she was beginning to become fame-obsessed since she spent most of her time on social media, trying to get a bigger following...or maybe it was the way she showed disinterest towards Hange. Either way, Hange would have to let (Y/N) go soon. They had thought the two would be friends forever...but perhaps that wouldn't be the case.

(Y/N) smoothed the silk fabric of her green dress, her other hand fiddling with the necklace she had around her neck. It was the day of the winter ball. She was a wreck. Once Nanaba realized that she wasn't going to carry out the dare, then her entire life would be ruined. Everyone would know about her breaking into city hall...she could get arrested for that. She could be labeled as a delinquent. No one would want to hire a delinquent. Her reputation would plummet.

But those were worries for later. For now, she could genuinely enjoy the dance. She would be relaxed knowing, that at least, Hange's feelings were spared. The faint sounds of a soft ballad wafted through the gymnasium—which had been turned into an impressive dance room. The lights were dim, a light blue light illuminating the floor. There were snowflakes and other winter decorations scattered throughout, and everyone looked impeccable. They were decked out in fancy and expensive gear.

"You look better than I thought you would," Nanaba mused. She and (Y/N) had taken a limo to the dance, and decided to wait for their "dates" there.

"Thanks," (Y/N) responded, uninterested. Her eyes continued to scan the throng of bodies, trying to seek out the one she was most excited to see. Where were they? They were a few minutes late.