One Last Time (Angst?)

Warning: Angst

Pairing: GN Hange x F Reader

"I was a liar, I gave into the fire. I know I should've fought it, at least I'm bein' honest. Feel like a failure 'cause I know that I failed you. I should've done you better. 'Cause you don't want a liar..."

The passage of time was a funny thing. One moment you could be in the arms of the one you loved, thinking yes, this is the person I want to spend the rest of my life with and just a few years later, you find yourself present at their wedding to someone else. It was painfully funny. Well, at least that was what Hange thought. As they stood towards the back of the wedding hall, fiddling with the cuffs of their too tight suit jacket, Hange began to create a list of everything that had gone wrong.

"Are you sure you'll be alright here?" Erwin asked, causing Hange to look up. "It was a nice thing for (Y/N) to invite you...but I'm not sure she knew the extent to which you—"

"It's fine, Erwin," Hange cut him off. "I don't need to be checked up on. I'll be fine."

The light chatter of guests was effective at drowning out Hange's sorrow and their fingers twitched as they saw a caterer pass by with a tray of champagne glasses. Erwin saw the way Hange's eyes followed the bubbling liquid and he sighed.

"Hange. Please, if you don't feel comfortable here, I encourage you to leave. For your and (Y/N)'s sake," Erwin insisted. "I know you love her, and I know you want what's best. This is her big day, she doesn't need to see you moping around in the corner."

"I know Erwin," Hange's voice was tense, and they struggled to keep the regret out of their tone. They inhaled deeply and straightened. "I don't plan on moping in the corner. I'm going to go take a seat with the other guests."

Hange walked away before Erwin could speak up again, their eyes tracing the flower arch towards the center of the room. In a couple of minutes, (Y/N) would walk down the aisle. In a couple of minutes, she'd say her vows and wed someone else. In a couple of minutes, any chance Hange had with her would be no more.

They took a seat on the cushy velvet chairs, feeling as if they were drowning in regret and sorrow. It was uncomfortable and heavy, and it made them crave the glasses of champagne. But they would act civil. At least for tonight. Even though they couldn't have given (Y/N) the happiness she had desired, the least they could do was keep her day special.

"So, one last time I need to be the one who takes you home. One more time I promise after that, I'll let you go. Baby, I don't care if you got her in your heart, all I really care is you wake up in my arms. One last time, I need to be the one who takes you home..."

(Y/N) stared at the brunette in front of her, her head resting on her chin. She smiled at them as they gave the waitress their order. "Who's the third burger for? I think two burgers and an order of fries should be enough for the two of us!"

"The second one is for me too," Hange stated sheepishly. "I'm very hungry."

(Y/N) grinned. "That's fine. I guess I'll order a strawberry milkshake too! Or maybe I'll eat a second burger as well..."

Hange nodded enthusiastically. She and Hange had been friends for the longest time. She felt more comfortable around them more than anyone else. Even now, on their first date, (Y/N) didn't feel any anxiety or nervousness. Hange would never judge her for anything outwardly.

"Thanks for agreeing to this," Hange said quietly. "I didn't know how you'd respond when I asked you out for a date. If you can't tell, I was very nervous."