Chapter 43: Beyond Evil

Crickets and birds melodiously humming captivates the enigmatic vicinity, and the king vessel’s newly opened eyes roam around; the mysterious forest suddenly appears. The thick ancient dark woods sleep and dream while the fireflies and owls enjoy the tranquility of the night.

Garet…”

And amidst the endless darkness, Garet heard a soft voice seeking for him, and when the fireflies lose their shine, his feet follow the trail of the voice without any path or a sight to see.

“Where am I?” Garet thought.

“Garet Christopher Lockser… do you think you’ve already served your purpose?”

“What do you mean?”

Before Garet could utter his curiosity more, the voice suddenly rested her lips in silence. And beneath his cold feet, a warm, bizarre blue flame ignites, revealing the spectacular sight of a forest. As Garet roams his eyes around, the pang of familiarity lingers to him.

“Dim Forest… anong—”

At bago tulyang matapos ni Garet ang kanyang sasabihin, napansin niya ang isang rebulto ng babae sa kanyang harapan. Katulad ng kagubatan, ang mukha nito ay pamilyar sa kanya hanggang sa dahan-dahang nabiak ito at tuluyan niyang nakilala ito.

“Pyre… anong nangyayari? Hindi ba’t nasa gitna ako ng labanan—”

“Yes, you are, Garet.” Makahulugang pumaling sa gilid si Pyre, kung saan ang asul na apoy ay lumutang sa ere’t pinakita sa kanila ang nangyayaring labanan sa pagitan ng mga rule-breakers at ni Poseidon.

Kitang-kita ro’n ang pagtutunggali nina Emerald at Poseidon, nagpapasiklaban sila sa paggamit ng kanilang mga hawak na sandata. Samantalang si Artemis, pilit na pinayeyelo ang buong hawla ng tubig ngunit kahit anong gawin niya’y hindi niya magawang mabago ang itim na tubig.
Nang pagdikitin ni Pyre ang kanyang mga kamay, ang imaheng kanilang pinapanood ay naglaho at ang apoy tumungo sa pagitan nila, pinakikita ang isang pulang baton a tila’y nauubusan ng liwanag sa loob.

Malamlam na tiningnan ni Pyre sa mga mata si Garet at saka ito nagsalita, “Why do you think Zeus brought you in the Realm of the Souls?”

“To enlighten me about the upcoming drought—”

“You’re just like what your father describes. Too naïve, too ignorant to realize the things being spoon feed to you. Zeus didn’t bring you in that place to tell you that… he wanted to show you how much he favored you more than anyone.”

Wala sa sariling natawa si Garet at saka sumimangot. Diretso siyang tumingin kay Pyre na may bahid ng pagkaasar ang mga mata.

“Nagkakamali ka ata, Pyre. Si Alexis ang paboritong demigod ni Zeus, hindi ako—”

“Then why would he tell you about the Guardians and punish his so-called favorite demigod?”

“Ano… hindi kita maintindihan…”

“Alexis Lancaster received the highest order of imprisonment bestowed upon by Zeus himself,” Pyre stated. She watched Garet slowly looking beneath his feet, asking questions about what happened to the woman he loved. “Didn’t you saw what happened to Alexis and Poseidon?”

“I saw it… but after that, their images became vague and unclear, na para bang may nakukubli sa nangyari matapos ang nakadidiring katangahan ni Poseidon.”

Pyre looked at him worriedly. “Ask her… ask Alexis after the battle. But for now, you must accept yourself.”

Nagtatakhang tinapunan ni Garet ng tingin si Pyre na tila’y naghihintay pa ito ng mga susunod pang sasabihin nito, nang mapansin ito ni Pyre ay bahagya niyang tinulak ang asul na apoy papunta sa gawi ni Garet at seryosong minata ito.

“Why do you think you are bound to be a king vessel?” Pyre asked.

All of a sudden, Garet’s mouth felt dry as if the liquids within his body dried out for some reason. Ever since he was a child, he has never acknowledged himself as a king vessel; he may utter it loud in the past, but within the bounds of his heart, he hasn’t. To him, just like what he thinks of the sacred laws, being a king vessel is a vexatious role, a burden to chase a promising dream.

And to Garet, even though he has all the qualities, he believes that title deserves to be with someone who acknowledges the worth of every being.

“I’m just not worthy…” Garet thought.

Matipid na nginitian ni Pyre si Garet habang ito’y wala sa sariling nakayuko at abalang pinaandar ang negatibong perspektibo sa sarili.

“But… that’s not what Zeus believe, Garet,” sambit ni Pyre dahilan upang mapatunghay si Garet na may pagtatakha sa kanyang mga mata. “If you aren’t a worthy king, Zeus wouldn’t let you meet me in flesh just to receive my full blessing.”

“Full blessing?”

Pyre once again smiled, looking at the flame and stone in their front. “The Pyre with you ever since you held the stone was just a part of me… a fragment of the real one, the real me because Zeus, locked us the guardians away from this realm. So, not a single demigod nor a king vessel could wield us.”

“Kaya nasa Realm of the Souls kayo? Bakit niya gagawin ‘yon?”

“Because those who can wield us can acquire a power that can annihilate a god.”

Muling nawala ang kakayahan ni Garet na makapagsalita, gustuhin man niyang iproseso ito nang sabay-sabay sa kanyang utak ay hindi niya magawa. Masyadong marami ang impormasyon ang iniwan sa kanya ni Pyre at lahat iyon ay may kanya-kanyang bigat.

Saglit na pinagmasdan ni Garet ang apoy sa kanyang harapan at wala sa sarili niyang kinuha ang batong kinukubli nito sa gitna. Nang tuluyan niya itong maikulong sa kanyang palad, kung noon ay halos maubos ang lakas niya sa unang beses niyang paghawak dito, ngayon nama’y halos malunod ang buong katawan niya sa lakas na binibigay nito sa kanya.

Stone of Pyre.

“Now, go back, Garet…”

Muling sinakop ng kadiliman ang mga mata ni Garet. Nang sinubukan niyang igala ang kanyang mga mata, hinanap niya si Pyre ngunit wala ito kasama ang kanyang kakaibang liwanag. Ngunit alam niya sa kanyang sarili na ang bato’y nakakulong pa rin sa kanyang palad.

“Now, what?” Garet thought.

Once again, Garet felt like his body was in a deep slumber though he could hear the screams of devastation and the declaration of one’s wicked triumph. A vaunting smirk curves in his lips but immediately disappears as he opens his eyes.

With the rule-breakers around him to indulge with the appearance of Poseidon, they have somewhat forgotten the existence of the king vessel. And inside of Garet, a flame ignited, coursing through his veins and pumping magic within.

“I will let you meet your demise, just like your king, fools!” Poseidon roared. Garet emotionlessly laid his eyes on him while soaring the horizon silently. “And killing all of you will be a message to the nation that defying the sacred laws is the most abundant sin of all.”

In Garet’s eyes, the God of the Sea, along with the other gods, holds the most dreadful sin of all, for they stole not just their children’s dream but as well as their identity to build a nation in their desires.

Garet…” Pyre whispered.

Garet heaved a sigh. And with just a snap, terror and fear began to fill Poseidon’s eyes as his most powerful cage was devoured by a peculiar blue flame.

“Who told you that I’m already defeated, fool?” Garet asked.

“Wield my flames, for it slays beyond one’s evilness. Thus, the more wicked your nemesis is, the more powerful your flames are.”

#