Chapter 22- Not Even A Proper Goodbye

PREVIOUSLY

"Sender?"

"Circe."

"Cauraline. Come to me."

"Precious big brother here is gonna feel my wrath."

"You have until midnight tomorrow."

"I'm killing him either way. This all depends on whether it's tomorrow or...tomorrow."

NOW

Within the video letter, there were coordinates marked within a heart reading,

"Left you a surprise when you arrive!"

I swore silently under my breath at the mess this has become.

"Okay, obviously this is a trap," I sighed softly.

"I agree with the Princess," Dean added.

Jay stood there in thought, staring off into the distance at the baby blue sky.

"Dad, take Caura to the briefing room, I'll be there soon."

"What? You're not coming?"

"I am. I just...need information... on something,"

He couldn't keep the gaze. He couldn't even look me in the eye.

Something's up.

Dean fatherly escorted me to the Castle and into the briefing room where Sawyer was already there, acting as the boss in the head chair.

He nervously jumped when he saw us and tried to play it like he was just 'testing' the chair out.

Don't worry Sawyer, we have more pressing matters.

The room was like any other. Dark chairs surround the large glass table facing the projector's screen.

Nothing fancy.

After a couple of shy minutes, Jay came in with a brown envelope in hand and a determined look on his once serious face.

Dean, Sawyer and I took our seats amongst the chairs as Jay stood front and centre, fiddling with the flap of the envelope.

"Cauraline, there's no easy way to say this but erm, this is for you"

He pulled out the paper from the envelope and slid it across the table towards me.

On it read...

My love, Cassandra, sorry I should call you Cauraline from now.

I should have told you sooner about your alias, your mother, your realm, basically, everything regarding so you could have decided for yourself what you wanted to do.

Accept my apology.

If you're reading this, things have likely gone bad since they released me and chances are, I'm already dead.

Tell Danielle that I love her and the baby, but don't mention anything about me being in Hephaeta. Do me that favour, please.

I just want you to know that you're stronger than anyone could imagine, and I know the good in you will prevail.

I regret not being able to see you one last time but- I loved you as if you were my own. And if it was my life for yours, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Again and again.