Chapter 28- Pressurized Timing

PREVIOUSLY

"If I do this, you'll die,"

"It won't stop me from coming back for you," he declared.

"I think...I can love you." I whispered.

He didn't make a sound, but the silent tear going down the side of his eye to his ear said it all.

As I got up and backed away slowly, an aching pain washed over me, and I glanced at the remnants caused.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as Jackson came rushing towards Jay's side, inadvertently bumping into my frozen stature.

Cold petite fingers wrapped around my arm, pulling me toward the open portal.

And just like that, the chaos and bloodshed released were now far behind me.

NOW

Stepping through the portal felt like a piece of me died, yet my body was still functioning.

In the poorly lit surroundings, it seemed like we were in a cottage: in a very large room, there was furniture as far as the eye could see.

"I need to get an item, and then we can continue," Circe expressed with a slight gleam in her eyes.

She seemed to walk about checking any openings as if she were retracing her steps.

She stopped and looked at me.

The me who hasn't mentioned a word since leaving Haephaeta.

"Cauraline?"

"Don't you have anything you want to say?" Igress asked.

Closing my eyes and letting out a sigh, my mind was not on the idea of a confrontation.

It's easier to ignore it.

The pain.

The anger.

The resentment.

"Thinking about Prince Charming and wondering how he's doing?" Igress taunted and stood before me with a penetrating gaze.

I stood my ground and just stared at him, wishing I could end him.

Right here, right now.

"If you ask me, he's probably fighting for his life because of what you did. That or he's dead."

"You're worthless, pathetic, and such a waste of space, you know that? If it weren't for Circe, you'd still be locked up in my parent's dungeon rotting as a nobody."

He got further into my face.

"I dare you to say it again!"

It's easier to ignore it.

Or so I thought.

I balled my fists and, without hesitation, connected it with his nose.

He stumbled backward, almost falling, but held himself up with the help of nearby furniture.

His next look was one of fury since now there were trails of crimson near his nose.

He was able to stand on both feet but began laughing heinously, almost in an uncontrolled manner.

"You sure do pack a mean punch," He still chuckled. "You'll pay for that, though."

That last sentence; he said in a cold menacing tone, raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

"Okay, I do recall where it is," Circe pushed us both to the side as she walked between the space we once stood.

Her eyes flickered between the both of us before leaning her head to the left as if indicating for us to follow her.