Chapter 21- Betrothed Or To Love Another?

PREVIOUSLY

"She's bound to know Dean. Why not kill two birds with one stone? Ask my son a question and deliver information all at one time."

She looked down to cut her food and smirked, breaking eye contact with the King and finding mine; arousing this suffocating feeling.

"Rayvrn is his wife."

NOW

The Queen, Marci, slyly continued eating her food while everyone else sat in silence.

I know we're not obligated to tell each other everything, but I figured since we've come this far, the topic should've come up at some point.

I haven't even begun to process the statement before Dean, the King, tried to change the topic.

"Thyra. Fieldwork. How was it today?"

The girl whose hair was short and had the marron colour identical to her mother spoke with a sweet melodic voice.

"Regular. But I don't understand why the kingdom's future is being discussed when it's always been a private discussion, unless-"

"Thyra," the Queen warned.

"I'm not done talking," She glared at the visibly enraged Queen, who matched her gaze.

But before she could get another word in, the King cut her off and calmed down the queen.

"This dinner is about Cauraline and she is our guest. We leave royal matters out."

After an eerie silence, with nothing but utensils touching plates, the Queen perked up.

"Cauraline dear, tell me about yourself,"

I worked up the courage to force a smile and stared right at her.

"What do you want to know...Your Majesty?"

"Are you still interested in Jay?"

At the mention of his name, he slammed his utensils on the plate.

KLANK!

"MOTHER! ENOUGH!"

I swallowed before I answered.

"I never was," 

Knowing it was a lie.

In disbelief, he tried to make eye contact with me but I averted.

I sat there, as awkward as the 'p' in raspberry, with Jay's coat around me, feeling uneasy and uncomfortable.

We managed to get through the dinner but in even more silence.

I couldn't stay any longer.

"Excuse me for a bit,"

I found the enchanting starlight in what seemed like the royal gardens.

Walking to clear my head, I spoke out loud. 

"Was everything he's said and done, just empty and meaningless?"

"No," He responded. "It meant everything to me,"

I couldn't face him, since I too, told a lie that may have crushed him.

"How could you?" I asked facing away from him.

"Just let me explain," He tugged on the coat and I reluctantly turned to meet his gaze.

"Be honest with me Jay. For once,"

He took a breath, "Yes, it is true that my childhood friend, Rayvrn, is my betrothed,"