Bandages

A/N requested by VarianWolf I tried my best, that's all I can say XD.

Varian's POV
There was a knock at the door, and the next thing I knew, (Y/N) walked in. I immediately grabbed a blanket from the couch I was sitting on and covered myself up to the neck. (Y/N) walked into the living room and said, "Hey, V!" As she walked over to me, "Are you cold? It's not that cold out..." She felt my forehead to make sure that I didn't have a fever. "N-No, I'm f-I-ne!" I stuttered out of nervousness, my voice cracking at the last word. Then (Y/N) noticed the red and white first aid kit next to me on the couch. 'Shoot!' I thought as she looked at it inquisitively before asking, "Varian....? Did you hurt yourself?" I nodded and smiled sheepishly, "I-It was only a sm-small cut..." She looked at the blanket and immediately pulled it off of me and gasped when she saw my arms and legs, "Varian! You have bruises and cuts all over you! What happened?!" I laughed nervously and said, being the idiot I am,(you're not an idiot, Varian.) "What bruises?" Then (Y/N) just looked at me, confused. She sighed and sat down next to me, taking the first aid kit in her lap. She started cleaning and bandaging my wounds. She asked again, "What happened?..." I sighed and responded, "I, um, got beaten up...heh," looking away in embarrassment (Y/N) immediately looked up at me, "Beaten up?! By who?!" She looked worried, but also like she was about to kill someone and it kinda scared me, so I said, "Uh, some rocks...yeahhh, I was beaten up by some rocks," remembering when they threw rocks at me. (Y/N) looked at me, probably wondering how much blood I had lost during my fight with "rocks". She sighed, "Fine... You can tell me later, but next time the rocks try to beat you up again, tell me so I can help you, okay?" I nodded; she was so caring even after I refused to tell her the truth. I smiled a little bit, but then immediately frowned when I noticed (Y/N) about to check under my shirt for wounds. I immediately held my shirt to myself so that she couldn't look at the wound underneath. "Varian," she said sternly, giving me a knowing look. I sigh and move my hands away from my abdomen. She slowly lifts my shirt off of my stomach and immediately gasps, her eyes widening. There was a deep slash in the middle of my stomach, soaked red with blood. She immediately starts cleaning it and bandaging it. She looked so concerned as she focused on tending to the wound. I start to say, "Hey, um, thanks for ya know, taking care of me..." I say, sounding as nervous as I am. She doesn't look up from bandaging the wound, but responds with, "You're welcome, but next time, just tell me instead of avoiding it because you're embarrassed," she then smiles a little bit and teases, "Don't worry, I won't think that you're any less manly." I sigh and smile also, feeling my cheeks heat up a tinsy bit in embarrassment.

Author's POV

  You smile more when you see him blush and ask, "Hey, do you want to have a sleepover tonight?" Sleepovers for normal for you two since you were practically life-long best friends. Varian nods and asks, "My house?" You answer with, "Sure."

  Later that night, you and Varian were setting up your beds and you realize, "With that wound, you should be sleeping in your own bed so you can sleep upright."
   Varian says, "But I'll feel bad if you're the only one sleeping on the floor...." You try to reassure him that you're fine with sleeping on the floor, but he insists that it wouldn't be fair.  He then says, "I have an idea. What if you sleep in my bed too?"
  You look at him weirdly and then glance at his bed. "I guess you do have a large enough bed for two people," you consider his suggestion.
  He nods and says, "There will still be like three feet between us. That's more than when we both sleep on the floor."
  You shrug and say, "I guess you're right."
  Both of you get ready for bed and you change into the pajamas you had brought from your house earlier. You come out of the bathroom and walk back into his room. Varian as already in bed, reading. He had reading glasses on, and man, was he adorable. You smile to yourself and walks over to his bed, sitting down. You pulls the covers out from underneath you and pull them over your lap. You move closer to Varian and lean your head over his shoulder to see what he is reading and ask, "Whatch'ya readin'?" Varian jumps a bit in surprise and laughs, responding with, "The tales of Flynnigan Rider: The Treasures of Moonstadt! It's the 5th book in the series and I'm almost finished." "You're a dork," you say, giggling, and push his glasses up because they were sliding down. He smiles a cute, awkward smile as you move back over to your side on the bed. Your smile slowly fades away. "Varian...?" You hesitantly call his name (Call out my name, *kazoo* Adeptus Xiao. *kazoo* I will be here, when you call! Kay I'm done now) Varian looks over at you, "Yeah?"
  "What were those kids beating you up for?...."
"N-Nothing...." He replies nervously.
  "Come on, Varian. You can tell me." You tell him. He sighs and says, "Apparently I'm a "runt" and a "try-hard wizard" -which I am not! Because I do not work with magic! I am a modern alchemist, no magic involved whatsoever, so you know, I don't even know where they got that from! And I'm not- well maybe I do try too hard.... But is ity fault I like alchemy? It's not my fault I sometimes mess up my calculations, w-well a little more than sometimes, but still! I-..." He sighs, his eyes drifting on their own as he is stuck in his own head. "They're right.... I am a runt. I mean look at me? A-And look at my dad! He's tall and strong and what do I get? The body of a stick! The only reason I'm strong at all is because I have to move my inventions around so often. But look at me! I'm weak. And I do try too hard..." He looked like he was om the verge of tears, but you didn't know what to do so you just looked at him with gentle eyes and listened to his rant intently.
Varian continues, "I try so hard to help my village.... I try to find ways to make living more efficient, but all I do is mess up and explode things, leaving nothing but a trail of destruction along looks of disgust and disappointment wherever I go... I try so hard to ignore it, I try so hard to ignore how they look at me and act like I can't see and just go on like normal, but everyday, it gets harder and harder to ignore. It makes me wonder if it would be better to just stop and give in to all of the doubt and anxiety so that I don't disappoint more people... But alchemy is all I have... I'm not strong or talented, the only thing I'm good at is alchemy, so I can't give it up, because it's all I have. Without it, I don't even know who I am..." At this point, tears were welled up in Varian's eyes as he looked ahead at nothing. He feels a warm touch to his back and his eyes refocus as you pull him into an embrace.
  Once he realizes what is happening, he lets his body lean into you, a few tears escaping his eyes. You rub his back soothingly and start to talk quietly, "I know who you are... You're Varian, and without alchemy, you're still Varian, my best friend in the whole world!" Varian lets out a soft chuckle at the last part.
  You continue, "And you know what? You're not weak and you never were. You're one of those strongest people I know, even stronger than your father! Because no matter how hard it is to keep going, you keep your head up, and keep doing what you love. Now that's a strength, most people don't have."
  You push Varian away from you, holding onto his shoulders and looking into his eyes, "And you wanna know what I think?"
  Varian looks at you blankly for a second before asking, "What?"
  "I think you're perfect," you say, a light pink dusting your cheeks and the tip of your nose. Varian blushes a tiny bit as well and smiles bashfully, "Thank you, (N/N). That helped a lot, you always know how to make me feel better, thank you..." You boop his nose, smiling, "Now don't get all sappy on me, Var."
  Varian just smiles more and looks into your eyes gently, causing you to start to blush again. "V-Varian?" you say his name questioningly. He just smiles sweetly at you, a strange and unfamiliar, yet warming look in his eyes. It brought butterflies to your stomach and you didn't understand how just one look could have this effect on you. He seemed almost dazed, looking into your eyes. Out of nowhere, you lean forward and kiss his cheek, blushing profusely. You immediately turn over and lay down, facing the other side of the room. You can hear Varian mumble something incoherent to your ears and then lay down as well. You glance over your shoulder to him and are surprised to see him looking right at you. He just smiles and closes his eyes. You blush even more concerned by his calm state and turn back to your own side. You sigh and close your eyes, letting yourself drift off to sleep. Little did you know, the look Varian had given you earlier, was the sprouting of a new beginning for both of you.

_______________________________________________
A/N: Ahhh, I haven't written in so long and so I just wrote whatever came to my head as it came and it ended up being boring, but I haven't updated in so long, that I'm just going to publish this anyway. Hopefully more to come. And as always, requests are highly welcome and encouraged because ya girl still is dry of ideas. Anywayyy, please enjoy this getting-back-into-writing-again one shot and have a good day/night!
                                                                     -Volana