[ 1 ]

_______________
__________
_____

S H I E L D

1

"I don't think people understand how stressful it is to explain what's going on in your head when you don't even understand it yourself

"I don't think people understand how stressful it is to explain what's going on in your head when you don't even understand it yourself."

???, Pacific Ocean
January, 2012

VERFALL TAPPED HER FINGERS AGAINST the metal floor, following a one, two- one, two, three pattern. She was still seated in the same glass cell, with guards stationed every two feet. They were all holding assault rifles, facing the other direction.

Natalia had tried to reassure her that SHIELD- the facility- was going to help her. But, Verfall had only stared unblinkingly with a hint of disbelief. Natalia had noticed, and she'd turned on her heel with Clint. The other agents had stepped inside and she'd watched them cautiously as they took the hospital bed she'd awoken on.

Now there was nothing in her cell but a thick sleeping bag. Verfall hadn't gone anywhere near it. It was too soft, too warm. She only ever slept in it, and that was every four or five days. She was glad there was no bed- she wouldn't know what to do with it, and she'd have to sleep in it if it was still there because that'd be the desired response.

She knew Natalia had taken it because she had seen how they were treated- that even the cot was too soft at times.

There were little things she was grateful for. She was given three meals a day- each one which she struggled to finish. She was given clothes that were furry and long and warm, with a sweater that was two sizes too big, hanging over her hands. The most important thing about the sweater was the scent- it smelled familiar, like-

She couldn't put her finger on it, but it was a mix of coconut and cinnamon and something else.

She didn't mind being in the glass cell either. Now she could somewhat see the people watching her, and the camera above wasn't too noticeable so it didn't really feel like she was being watched.

Of course, she knew it was there, but she tried not to overthink it. She was always watched.

That wasn't anything new.

Her eyes flitted across the glass wall, before dropping back to the ground. She couldn't help the anxiety compressing in her chest.

If HYDRA wasn't here, were they looking for her? And if they were, why were they taking so long? Was Winter safe? Did they take Winter too and separate them? What for?

She swallowed her nervousness, her fingers seizing their incessant tapping as she drew her knees to her chest. She leaned her forehead against her legs and exhaled softly. Staying in her cell alone was odd, to say the least. She'd awoken once without Winter, and now she'd awoken once more without him.