[ 10 ]

_______________
__________
_____

S H I E L D

10

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

???, Pacific Ocean
March, 2012

NATASHA GRINNED AS SHE DROPPED into a crouch, mirroring Lucy who rolled her eyes lightheartedly. The redhead lunged forwards methodically and Lucy swiveled, letting her back fall and her feet lift into the air. She kicked up and nearly hit Natasha square in the face. But she moved just as quick, avoiding the attack.

It had been a month since Natasha returned from her mission, and a month since Lucy had slowly progressed into a state more human than not. With Agent Hill's constant tests and Clint's child-like playfulness, Lucy found it marginally difficult to be the Weapon; to be Verfall. She hadn't been herself in such a long time and she missed it. She missed it just as much as she missed Winter though, so she never dared to do anything too out of line.

Natasha smirked and she suddenly slammed her foot into Lucy's stomach. Lucy grabbed the incoming boot and skidded backwards. Natasha abruptly jumped up onto her feet, relaxing as she wiped dust from her hands.

Lucy's brows furrowed in confusion until she looked down and realized she'd been pushed off the training mat. She let out a groan of annoyance, bringing herself to stand with a pout.

"Fun." Lucy remarked dryly. "I would've won if it weren't for this ridiculous square."

Natasha rolled her eyes, letting out a lighthearted scoff.

"I'd beg to differ." She winked.

Lucy released a long breath, shaking her head. For the first time in a while her eyes were alight with something akin to life. The training room doors screeched open and Lucy groaned at the sound; they really needed to get that squeak fixed.

She went to resume their sparring when Natasha's smirk disappeared from her face, a serious expression replacing it. Lucy spun, actually taking a glance at who'd entered. It was merely Issac Murphy with his two cats scuttling besides him; except he looked terrified and completely frazzled.

He clambered towards Lucy who furrowed her brows with confusion and a hint of anxiety.

"Agent Murphy?" She asked hesitantly and the poor agent wheezed.

Had he been sprinting this whole time?

"There's a- a-" he stammered his breath halting as Natasha came to stand besides her.