[ 50 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R 'S
M I S S I O N

50

"Choices are a funny thing

"Choices are a funny thing. You don't know when they're gone until they're presented to you again. But by then choices will be foreign, and you'll prefer a life without them."

Washington D.C., United States
June, 2014

DR. SCHAFFER DROVE TOWARDS A quinjet waiting beside the Potomac river, parked with it's ramp lowered. He slowed to a stop and pulled the key out of the car, stopping the engine and exiting the vehicle. Winter and Verfall followed behind him as he opened the trunk of the Jeep. He grabbed a six pack of beer and handed it to Winter, who took it swiftly. Dr. Schaffer grabbed a handful of grocery bags and handed it to Verfall. She took them silently and Dr. Schaffer turned with his briefcase still in hand.

The Commander was sitting at the edge of the ramp, bandages covering his arms where he must've gotten second degree burns from the engine's heat. The skin on the right side of his face was risen and boiled, blistered and red. Verfall had been furthest from the heat, and she felt guilt swell in her chest. In her frantic state she'd accidentally allowed Commander Rumlow to be exposed to something her skin had grown somewhat resilient to. If she'd been burned her skin wouldn't scar as much.

He stood when Winter got close, stopping him and grabbing one of the beers. Winter waited patiently for him to take it before entering the quinjet. Verfall entered and the Commander followed behind her. She placed the groceries on the bench of the quinjet and turned around. He held his capped bottle of beer to her. His expression was filled with annoyance, but at the same time, he looked relieved.

She reached forwards, placing her hand on top of the bottle—

"No." Dr. Schaffer said firmly as he walked inside, placing his briefcase one the bench. "She's used up her abilities. I need to give her a recharge because she stopped five floors from dropping on both of your heads."

Commander Rumlow huffed, padding over towards Winter and holding the beer out. He grasped the cap with his metal fingers and flicked it open easily. The Commander smiled at him, ruffling his hair.

Winter immediately relaxed, beaming.

Then the Commander moved, sitting beside Agent Rollins, who was reading a book. He was wearing gray sweatpants, a white tank top over his shoulders. Commander Rumlow kicked his legs up and over the taller agent's lap. He grinned as he took a sip of his beer.

Agent Rollins narrowed his eyes at him.

"Brock." He scolded. "Get off."

Commander Rumlow rolled his eyes.