[ 21 ]

_______________
__________
_____

A V E N G E R S
A S S E M B L E D

21

"It's unfair to be fair; for life is unfair

"It's unfair to be fair; for life is unfair."

???, Pacific Ocean
April, 2012

"NO, BUT I SWEAR DUM Dum was drunk and high off his ass." Steve laughed, gasping for breath. "The whole bar was silent except for his girlish singing and I could not—Oh my god—"

Lucy broke out into laughter herself, unable to hold the giggles from leaving her lips. She hadn't reminisced of the old days since—since never. She hadn't realized how much she actually missed the Howling Commandos and their absolute stupidity, Peggy's bright smile and scowls—the way her cheeks would tint red when Steve bumped into her.

"So was Dernier," she sniggered, grabbing onto the rail to keep herself from laughing on the floor, "he was all 'mon cœur, chéri, je t' aime!'"

Sweetheart, darling, I love you!

She spoke French with an over exaggerating tone, trying her best to copy Dernier's voice. It came out way too high pitched and ridiculously accented. Steve bit the inside of his lip as he tried to keep a straight face. He burst into laughter a moment later, grabbing onto her shoulder as he gasped, throwing his head back.

Lucy beamed at him, giving him time to collect himself as he ran his hand through his hair.

"The good times." He hummed. "Miss those."

Lucy watched as his smile fell slightly, his gaze softening as he lost himself in the past, pondering over memories and the army. She placed her hands back onto the railing, leaning on it with a subtle sigh.

Someone cleared their throat besides Steve and they both looked up to see Agent Coulson standing beside them, awed and trying terribly hard to conceal his giddiness.

"Oh," Steve cleared his throat, "Agent Romanoff told me you had trading cards."

Agent Coulson managed not to blush as he nodded vigorously, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"They're uh in my locker. I can get them later but I'd uh, it'd be great if you could sign them. I mean, if it's not too much trouble." He paused, thinking for a moment.

Steve nodded.

"No, no, it's fine." He remarked, turning to look back at the sky.

Agent Coulson glanced at Lucy.

"And um. . .if you don't mind either."

She blinked—so he did recognize her—before smiling.

"I guess I also owe you an apology," Agent Coulson admitted, looking flustered, "I didn't recognize you before when you were with Stark. If I had known SSR Agent Baker was standing in front of me I would've helped sooner."