[ 15 ]

_______________
__________
_____

S H I E L D

15

"We may lose, sometimes painfully

"We may lose, sometimes painfully. But we don't die. We survive."

???, Pacific Ocean
March, 2012

LUCY FOUND HERSELF IN A familiar predicament the second week after Henry's appearance. He was still trailing her schedule like a shadow roaming every corner but she no longer found the heart to constantly despise him. He was just. . .there. And Lucy found herself perfectly alright with it—okay, well, maybe not perfectly—but she tolerated it. Unsurprisingly, Agent Hill was able to drill some good thoughts into the overly violent man, and for the most part, he'd been passive. That was why she didn't expect Henry to do anything rash when Lucy's moving order was finally given; she was leaving the goddamn helicarrier, and Henry was coming with.

Or so he insisted.

Lucy was being escorted by STRIKE Team Alpha towards the garage; Agent Westfahl and Agent Mercy were behind her, Agent Adams and Agent Rollins were at either side of her, and the Commander had been leading the group towards one of the quinjets in the garage.

Now Lucy had shifted to the front of the group, frowning at Henry who'd been waiting next to the quinjet with an exasperated Agent Hill trying to tug him away. He didn't budge, instead shooting Lucy a glare that she nearly flinched under.

"You were going to leave without telling me?" He huffed, looking offended at the prospect.

Lucy rolled her eyes.

"Yes, well, I knew you were going to make a fuss." She said. "Since you're not allowed to follow me."

Henry narrowed his eyes for a long moment, before taking a step forward. She didn't back down, instead staring straight at him.

"I would've made a fuss either way. When they lost you in the Alps I killed someone—Didn't your star-spangled man tell you that?" He said pointedly, his voice remarkably unthreatening and more factual. "And why, pray tell, can I not follow you?"

Agent Hill let out an annoyed groan.

"I've already told you that you're not permitted off of the helicarrier. Lucy's going to a location that is irrevocably important." Agent Hill pressed. "And you can't go because you're not trusted enough."

Henry crossed his arms over his chest. He seemed to think over Agent Hill's words before shaking his head.

"I don't give two shits." He snapped, turning back to Lucy. "If you leave the helicarrier, I leave."