[ 36 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L A C O N I C

36

"A half truth is a whole lie

"A half truth is a whole lie."

Madripoor, Indonesia
January, 2013

MATTEO, AS RIDICULOUS AS IT seemed, reminded her completely of Tony Stark. He seemed to have the uncanny ability of not being able to stop cracking jokes and mentioning something mildly inappropriate. For a mafia boss he acted just as immature as Stark, although Verfall was sure it was a front. Verfall watched him as he gripped the steering wheel. They were driving towards the outskirts of the city, where she could just barely see the top of an old mansion home. It looked worn down, but not demolished, so she supposed it would be a good place to settle in.

It was better than half the buildings in low town anyway.

Matteo glanced at her for a second, his lips closing at the curious expression on her face. She quickly dropped her eyes, unsure if he would be upset. He was supposed to be her handler here, and there was no one else in the car with them. Just the pair, with the rubber roof pulled back, wind whipping past them.

His lips curled upwards into a smile as he faced the road.

"You know, I don't understand why Enrico has such an interest in you." He paused. "Henry, if that wasn't clear. I mean, you don't talk, ya know? But then Enrico is all like 'you wouldn't understand' but I'm not the one beating my men to death when one thing doesn't go my way. And then he has the nerve to call me a grandma. Which, by the way, my Nonna is very kind. Thank you very much."

Verfall's lips twitched upwards. It was hard not to be amused by him. He was so talkative and his complaints were valid. She didn't exactly agree with him, because Dr. Schaffer had promised he'd work on his morals.

Matteo looked at her again and his eyes brightened, a grin playing at his lips.

"You're pretty when you smile." He said as he turned right, entering the road towards the house. "But I bet Enrico would give me the head tilt of shame if I said that in front of him. Anyway he's the grandpa, stupid idiot is from the 40's and he has the nerve. I mean, A grade asshole."

They came to a stop in front of a wide silver gate. There was a security camera from above and Matteo waved his hand at it. There were a few seconds of silence before the gates creaked open. He drove into the actual driveway of the home soon after, not mentioning another thing until he parked.

Verfall remained in the car as he unlocked it, pushing the door open.

"But he's still like my uncle–I would say gramps but he's got some Hercules bullshit in his veins; hey did your other owner ever let you watch Hercules?" He asked.