[ 54 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R 'S
M I S S I O N

54

"Don't be afraid of finding yourself in the unfamiliar

"Don't be afraid of finding yourself in the unfamiliar."

Queens, New York
June, 2014

VERFALL SKIDDED ACROSS THE GRASS lips pursed, eyes narrowed with focus. Winter backflipped onto his feet, landing silently. They gazed at each other as Agent Rollins and the Commander pulled back from each other, wiping sweat off their brow. They'd been sparring side by side for the past hour and neither pair were ready to back down just yet. She turned her head at Agent Rollins who panted, eyes flicking to her. She nodded her head at Winter and he released a groan.

Her lips twitched as Winter turned and lunged at Agent Rollins.

She lurched to the side and dropped to the ground hard as the Commander slashed the air above her with a blade in his hand. His lips were curled upwards into an amused smirk as the blade dropped and he caught it with his other hand. He tried to stab her torso but she grabbed his wrist, forcing the blade back from her body. He pressed harder and she released her hand just as he sidestepped.

She hooked her leg around Commander Rumlow's ankle and he almost fell, grabbing onto her to catch his balance. He used the momentum to swing a fist at the back of her neck. She twisted, ducking her head. He threw a left hook and she caught his fist as the blade neared her eye. She huffed, catching his wrist. They both struggled against each other, arms pressed harshly against each other. That was one thing Verfall found efficient about Commander Rumlow; he could hold his own and he wouldn't back down even if his strength did not match hers.

With a burst of strength he shoved her arm off and slashed the blade at her neck. Verfall's body moved on autopilot and she grabbed the Commander's shoulder, straining her neck to avoid the blade as she judo flipped him onto the ground. He hit the grass and she released him, eyes wide with regret.

She dropped beside him and activated her abilities, hovering her hand above the burns that she'd closed in the morning. She carefully brought the blisters back together, anesthesia spreading across his forearm.

"'M sorry." She winced as he sat up, sighing. "I didn't mean to throw you that hard."

There was a twinkle of amusement in his gaze as he looked at her.

"Hurt like a bitch." He remarked before reaching up and ruffling her hair. "But you don't have ta treat me special, kid."

She pursed her lips, rearranging the short locks hanging to her head before standing to her feet. She held out a hand and he grasped it, wincing as he pulled himself onto his feet.