[ 8 ]

_______________
__________
_____

S H I E L D

8

"How can you love when you don't know what love is?"

???, Pacific Ocean
February, 2012

SHE AWOKE TO THE SOUND of a thud, not dissimilar to a body hitting the floor. She blinked blearily, lifting her head from the pillow beneath her head. Her feet were dangling on the edge of the bed, where she must've kicked the Commander in the torso. He was rolling on the ground, a grimace on his face. On second thought, maybe she'd kicked him in a more lower spot. She couldn't help the tiny smile on her face- technically, he deserved it, being HYDRA and all.

The Commander spotted her look of amusement and scowled though it was more playful than angry.

Lucy was surprised to find herself not a single bit afraid- that she might've done a wrong thing, that this was punishable and she'd disobeyed. The absence of the feeling somehow made her feel more. She pressed the happiness away because it was too overwhelming.

"That counts as laughing at me." He huffed, pursing his lips as he sat up from the ground.

Lucy blinked, remaining silent as she climbed out of her bed, rolling the blanket out across the mattress neatly and rearranging the pillows she'd managed to throw sometime during her slumber.

Then she finally moved to the Commander and pulled him to his feet.

"I didn't need your help. I was just sitting." He said with a roll of his eyes, but there was an air of appreciation to him.

She crossed her arms over her chest. Her lips twitched upwards and Agent Rumlow gave her an accusatory look. He was also amused, so Lucy remained relaxed as she blinked slowly.

Commander Rumlow opened his mouth to retort when his phone started to ring. He ran a hand through his hair as he picked up the flat screen device. She expected him to put it against his ear, but instead he turned it off, tucking it into his pocket.

He looked up at her and shot her a wink.

"C'mon Lucy." He ordered. "I've got a package for you."

She tilted her head curiously, but followed him nevertheless. He opened the door and she stepped besides him as he knocked on one of the other doors. Lucy pulled back when Agent Rollins suddenly poked his head out, wiping his eyes blearily.

"Brock?" He yawned. "What time is it?"

The Commander shrugged.

"5:00 am sharp. We've got a package." He said cryptically.