[ 14 ]

_______________
__________
_____

S H I E L D

14

"One can only choose to change

"One can only choose to change."

???, Pacific Ocean
March, 2012

"LUCY, YOU REALIZE I'M NOT a licensed therapist, right?" Agent Hill questioned. "I took classes in college and got a bachelor's degree. That's all."

Lucy was seated across Agent Hill with Henry to her right. She fiddled with the edge of the table, pursing her lips into a small pout. She wasn't that dull-minded. Agent Hill was a special agent who performed greatly on the field as much as she did working in her office. But she also had a talent with unravelling the most fractured parts of Lucy and pieced everything back together. She was one of the only reasons that Lucy had managed to feel comfortable on the helicarrier.

And she could only hope Agent Hill could do the same for Henry–not that Lucy was doing it for his sake, she was mostly doing it for the sake of others.

"Yes." She nodded. "I know. But you helped me, so. . .and it's not like you haven't met him since he's been sitting in for the past few days. . ."

She trailed off as Agent Hill turned to gaze at Henry, who was boredly inspecting his nails. He glanced up when he felt Agent Hill's stare on him and his lips split into a lopsided grin, one that was uncannily sinister.

"He just has anger management issues and he doesn't know why he's still angry after not expressing his anger." Lucy paused, examining Henry who's eyes had now flicked to hers. "You explained emotions very well to me and I thought. . .maybe. . .you could. . ."

His eyes narrowed and she couldn't help the wariness in her voice.

"I just don't want him to hurt anyone, is all." She pressed. "Because he usually beats people when he's upset. And he hasn't. Which is a good thing—"

"Lucy," Agent Hill spoke softly, "I know you think highly of me, but you must keep in mind that Henry is the one who conditioned you into becoming a weapon. It will be very difficult for me to help."

Lucy glanced at Henry, who's cruel smile formed into one of curiosity as he examined Agent Hill, sizing her up for the tenth time that day.

"I can offer you my cooperation." He said earnestly. "If it'll help me become a bit more respectable."

Lucy gave Agent Hill a pleading look.

She looked between them before leaning her hands against her desk.

"Alright." She agreed. "I'll help as best I can, but I want to know, Lucy, that this isn't because you hold onto irrational feelings. That this is just from the pureness of yourself."