[ 30 ]

_______________
__________
_____

A V E N G E R S
A S S E M B L E D

30

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom."

???
April, 2012

SHE COULD SEE ENOUGH TO spar well with the Asset. Her movements were all methodical, calculated, and violent. She didn't use her abilities—she'd tried to use them against her primary handler and that was wrong so she couldn't use them unless he was present. But fifty percent of her abilities were just the physical capabilities she possessed. She was powerful with or without fancy magic acts. She was a weapon, not a wizard or a witch.

She ducked her head, her limbs achy but otherwise fully healed. Her body was fixing all of the more important parts of her so her hearing was still as murky as it'd been yesterday. She didn't dare mention it as she blocked a punch from the Asset's metal fist. Her eyes hurt just as much.

She knew he was capable of breaking the bones in her arms. But they were training, not aiming to kill. She shot her leg out and kicked him hard in the shin. There was a rush of air and she dropped to the ground as the Asset attempted to hook her cheek with his elbow. He stumbled forwards, caught his balance, then spun, just as the Weapon jumped, kicking up and wrapping her legs around his neck. She twisted around him, tossing both of them to the ground.

He landed on the mat with a thud.

They both rolled and kicked themselves up with the same movement, knees bending slightly as they stood back onto their feet.

She stared at him.

He stared back.

Then the Asset suddenly stiffened, straightening with his hands at his sides, head horizontal to the ground.

The Weapon tilted her head with confusion. His eyes shifted to something behind her and she turned. She blinked harshly, but only saw blobs. She could make out the gray of Sasha's suit though, and everything inside of her twisted. She straightened just as the Asset had.

Sasha was followed by a group of agents she couldn't recognize. There was a tall one and she vaguely knew that one, at the very least, was Agent Rollins. She didn't focus on him though, otherwise Sasha would get upset.

She couldn't make him upset.

He waved his hand and the Asset remained poised, but relaxed. She didn't move, instead trying to shift her eyes to meet a spot to the side of Sasha's head but it was so blurry. She remained still as Sasha drew closer. He paused in front of her, and she felt his hand brush against hers before he spoke.