[ 48 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R 'S
M I S S I O N

48

"There is nothing permanent except change

"There is nothing permanent except change."

Washington D.C., United States
June, 2014

THE WEAPON BARELY FELT THE earpiece sitting in her ear canal, her eyes focused on her fingers, fiddling with the buckles across her tactical pants. She wasn't wearing her usual uniform; she wore a black tank top, a zip-up SHIELD jacket pulled over her shoulders. Her mask was missing and her hair couldn't be tied anymore; it was too short. She had countless weapons on her, all which were concealed. Sasha had made sure she was fully armed, so she'd be able to protect well. But he did not think to check the equipment Commander Rumlow had given her.

So she had an earpiece that Sasha was not aware about, wired only to Agent Rollins, the Commander, and the Asset when he would be used. Surprisingly, that wasn't the source of her jumping heartbeat, her trembling hands. She was afraid because she needed to keep him happy and he was sitting right beside her, hands on the wheel to his expensive car.

Sasha's eyes flicked to her for a moment and she ducked her head, flinching.

"Verfall," he stated softly, "I need you to stay calm. You're going to act as my personal security guard. Do not embarrass me in front of the Council."

The warning in his voice was clear and the Weapon nodded silently, then remembered his eyes were focused on the road.

"Sorry," she breathed before continuing, "affirmative, sir."

Sasha's lips tilted upwards and he looked pleased as they turned towards a towering glass building. The Weapon let her eyes focus in front of her, inhaling softly. She calmed herself, before forcing her expression to fall tranquil and relaxed.

Like a person.

Sasha turned into SHIELD's garage, parking the car. He took his seatbelt off, but didn't exit the vehicle. He turned to her and the Wea–Verfall turned her head to face him. He grasped her chin, tilting her head slightly. She leaned towards his hand as he pulled away. Sasha chuckled, ruffling her hair before pulling back and exiting.

Verfall followed after him, shutting the door quietly. He locked the vehicle and beckoned her to follow. The garage was filled with people walking back and forth, busy trying to set up Project: Insight for launch with perfection. They barely shot the pair a glance, nodding their head with respect only when they accidentally crossed paths in front of Sasha.

He was very respected, Verfall noted, so she kept her head lifted, back straight. She couldn't make Sasha upset with her. Not now. Not here.

They entered the main floor, even more agents milling about the area. Verfall shifted closer to Sasha, careful not to touch him but overwhelmed by the amount of SHIELD agents in the area. It was too much and Sasha was the only one who could count as something of comfort. She was her primary handler after all.