[ 55 ]

_______________
__________
_____

A B D I T O R Y

55

"Recovery is not linear

"Recovery is not linear."

Avengers Tower, New York
June, 2014

VERFALL LOST HERSELF IN A thousand-yard stare like she normally did. Nothing was being said; she had a feeling Natasha had told Steve not to mention any memories because remembering was a painful experience; so Winter and her did not need to pay attention. Sam spoke a few times, but Steve had only conversed a short while before the hum of the quinjet engine was the only sound in the air.

She came back to herself when the ramp door lowered and they were greeted by a soft wind that permeated from the sky. Verfall and Winter watched Steve as he stood to his feet, grabbing one of the duffle bags Winter had carried. Winter immediately shot to his feet, standing besides his original handler and awaiting for orders.

Verfall understood; Steve shouldn't be holding anything that was used for Winter.

"It's okay." Steve said calmly. "I can carry it. I just need you to follow me down the ramp, okay, Buck?"

Winter nodded his head.

"Affirmative, Captain." He replied smoothly.

Steve swallowed hard, his eyes watering as he swiftly looked away.

He couldn't let him see how upset he was, because then Winter would think he'd done something wrong when he hadn't done anything at all. Verfall knew because Steve was too emotional. All of his expressions were too obvious and that was not good for a handler.

She decided not to meddle with the business Winter had with his original handler who wasn't really his original handler. Instead she grasped her duffle bag and waited patiently for Natasha. She stood with Clint, approaching her as Sam yawned, stretching his arms.

Verfall stood stiffly, chin horizontal to the ground as Natasha passed her. She followed behind the redhead without an order and Natasha blinked. She wasn't a handler; Verfall knew so because the building they landed on was one she'd seen the day of the Chitauri attack. The building belonged to Stark. So Stark was going to be her handler because he'd been a mission handler before.

Not a primary handler, but a mission handler, and that was all she needed in order to function correctly.

She followed behind Natasha then passed her completely when she caught sight of Stark waiting behind the glass entrance. He pushed open the door and exited when she drew close. He raised an eyebrow, arms crossed over his chest. There was oil on his sleeve and grime on his forehead, most-likely from wiping sweat from his brow.