[ 35 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L A C O N I C

35

"Any coincidence is worth noticing

"Any coincidence is worth noticing. You can throw it away later if it is only a coincidence."

Madripoor, Indonesia
January, 2013

THEY EXITED THEIR TRANSPORT vehicle at the edge of a cat walk, stepping onto the criss-crossed iron. Agent Murphy grasped onto the railing, fearful of falling a story or two down onto the street. The streets themselves were darkly lit with neon lights, music booming from every club nearby. Several people held assault rifles, others were equipped with daggers and pistols. Girls in heels far too tall sashayed besides clubs, laughing and grinning at their friends, completely and utterly wasted. Their eyes flicked to the group, but passed over them in disinterest, at least, until they noticed Winter's metal arm. They seemed to avoid him, muttering about the Winter Soldier and the fact he was a myth. He was the only one who stuck out like a sore thumb.

Verfall wondered why most were also avoiding her. She was sure there was nothing unique about her physical appearance. It took her a minute or two of striding down the rocky road before she realized the white sleeve attached to just her right arm was made to be recognized. Whoever made their uniforms were very intent on making sure everyone knew they were a pair, attached to the hip.

It was only a shame Sasha didn't think about that before he separated them for a time too long. His arrogance would kill him one day, and Verfall didn't know if she'd try to protect him.

She would never want to— not that she had wants or anything.

The Commander led them into one of many bars, the inside vast and filled with people dancing under dim lights. It was far less luxurious; shattered glass was scattered across the floor, someone was vomiting at the farthest wall to the right, and another was practically inhaling a glass of wine.

It was rundown—it was depressing.

A few people made way for them, causing a ripple in the crowd as they eyed the two weapons with a sudden flicker of fear. Verfall stared blankly whenever she locked eyes with anyone; they quickly looked away.

Commander Rumlow slid into one of the bar stools with Agent Westfahl.

Agent Rollins remained standing, arms crossed, looking far too intimidating for anyone to approach for a fight; they seemed to do that with others, just for the fun of it.

Verfall's eyes flicked to Winter. He looked blank. His eyes were open but unseeing. To anyone else he'd seem distracted, but the moment he felt a shift in the air he would snap into action. She let her eyes drift back in front of her.