Chapter 5

Why am I always the first one to arrive?

It doesn't matter where we go, what we've got planned- I'm always the first one there.

Although this day started off as a shitty one, I can't help but feel excited on my way to the vineyard. It's Sunday, and Kayden and Isabella decided last week that it'd be a good idea to spend our last day of the week drinking wine and snacking on cheeseboards.

Not that I'm complaining. That sounds like the perfect way to spend this Sunday. Or any Sunday, really. I'd drink wine and eat cheese every day of my life if I could.

I stop dead in my tracks once I step into the area Kayden has rented out for the day.

Okay, so maybe I'm not always the first one to arrive.

''Joshua Carter, as I live and breathe.''

His head snaps up from his phone the second my voice strikes the room, and I try to ignore the little squeeze from my heart at the way his face lights up when our eyes meet.

''You say that as if we haven't seen each other in years.'' He says, pushing his chair back to get up on his feet.

I practically run up to him, and his strides towards me aren't so small, either. He opens his arms and I don't hesitate to tangle my arms around his middle- which is so huge, my hand's barely reach each other behind his back.

I breathe in his ocean-y scent. He always smells as crisp as the sea, as if he just stepped out of it. I wouldn't expect anything less from a born and raised Californian boy who likes to go surfing any chance he gets.

''Missed you, Arev.'' He breathes.

Again, I ignore the desperate twinge at my heart. 'Arev' is an Armenian term of endearment which translates to 'Sun', and Joshua has been calling me that since... for as long as I can remember, actually. But it's only lately that I've put the idea of him ever calling me 'Arevs' (My Sun) out of my head. It's only one little 's', but that one letter could've changed everything a long time ago. But it doesn't matter. Not anymore. I have a boyfriend now.

''Missed you too,'' I murmur, tearing myself away from his middle and looking up at him.

God, this man is beautiful. Joshua has that panty-dropping effect radiating off of him. He's the type of man that actually makes heads turn and girls giggle. Even if he wasn't as good-looking as he is, even if his dark-toned skin wasn't as glowy and captivating, or his muscles weren't practically eating him alive, I think he would still be able to pull all the ladies he'd ever want. Solely by his charm and that energy he's got on him. You can't help but love everything about Joshua Carter.

He walks me to the chair to his left and pulls my chair out for me, only going back to his seat once I'm positioned.

''So where is he?''

''Who?'' I ask, although I'm afraid I know exactly who.

''Maxy boy, Nar,'' he pins me with a look that could only be described as deadpan.

''Maxy boy?'' seriously?

''Yeah. Where is he?''

''He had to work late.'' Yeah, on a freaking Sunday. I also don't mention how he canceled last minute. And since my car is at the dealer's for its every six-month inspection, I had to take the most expensive Uber ride of my life. No reason to make Joshua hate him even more than he already does- for some reason I still can't fathom.

If that wasn't bad enough, the elevator to this damn place got stuck on the sixth floor, and then the freaking lights started flickering as hard as my heart was beating. Fortunately, it got to moving again before I had an actual panic attack and scared the elderly couple that was stuck there with me.