Chapter 16

Joshua

''What do you think?''

I'm thinking about ordering sushi for dinner tonight. Maybe a poke bowl? Or coconut rice with butter chicken and garlic naan?

I shake my head, settling my gaze back onto Kayden's questionable one. ''Sorry, what?''

''What do you mean 'sorry, what'? I've been talking about proposing to my girlfriend for about a fucking hour now.''

''Right. Of course. I knew that.''

I did not.

''You did not.''

''Okay, fine, I didn't,'' I agreed. ''But I'm listening now.''

His thick brows furrow. ''What's going on with you?''

''Nothing.''

''Maybe I would have believed that if you didn't look like you just bit into a lemon.'' he deadpans. ''Wipe that sour-ass look off your face and tell me why you've been acting like a little bitch today.''

''The tough-love thing is hot, Kayd, but you're not really my type.''

''Oh, I'm sorry,'' he feigns a shocked expression. ''Not blond and booby enough for you?''

''Did you just say 'booby'?''

A dry chuckle flows through the room, and I whip my head around just as Markus makes his way over to us. ''Which one of you idiots did I just hear say 'booby'?''

''Him.'' Kayden and I say simultaneously, then level each other with a glare.

My brother throws himself over the couch with a groan. ''Do you know what you left me with tonight?''

''Told you Monday nights are crazy.''

''I know Monday nights are fucking hectic, J, that's not what I meant.'' He grumbles. ''I meant miss Pauline.''

''No fucking way.'' My eyes widen. ''Miss Pauline was there?''

''Not only was she there,'' his lips thin. ''She was there and looking for you, big boy.''

I tip my head back with a groan. Not again.

''Guess who had to assist her through a full workout?'' he asks. ''No wait, just guess what body part she insisted we focus on once she found out her dear little Joshy had a brother?''

Please don't tell it was-

''Her ass.'' He confirms. ''Yes.''

I try to hold it in, I really honestly do, but my big brother looks like he would stab a pencil through both of his eyes to erase the images roaming around them if he saw one lying around, so I burst out laughing and Kayden follows behind less than a second later, both of us wiping tears from under our eyes a moment later.

''Goddammit,'' Kayden wheezes between laughs. ''She's back?''

Markus throws him a cold glare. ''And better than ever.''

''Who the hell is Miss Pauline and why does she have you fools pissing your pants?'' comes from a gruff, familiar voice by the door a moment after I heard it click shut.

''Look who finally fucking made it.'' Kayden mock-cheers sarcastically.

Richen eyes him with a dry look. ''You know I'm a med-student, right? Like, future doctor... Free time isn't exactly standard. Be glad I even showed up.''

''You know, one day I will stop caring whose brother you are and beat your ass.'' Kayden deadpans.

''Good luck explaining that one to Isabella when the day comes.'' He counters.